'Slackline' equipment load formula (weighted line between 2 fixed points)

In summary, the conversation discusses a need for an accurate formula to calculate the load of Slackline equipment based on the length of the line, sag of the line, and weight on the line. Various sources are mentioned but the expert believes they are all deficient due to not taking into account the width of the webbing and the resulting transmission of torque and tension.
eliotwebb
Hello,

I have a real world sports question I need help with:

I am looking for an accurate formula to calculate the load of Slackline equipment (will explain shortly), based on:

- The length of the line
- The sag of the line
- The weight on the line

Slacklining is like tight rope walking, but on a slack ribbon (usually 1 inch wide webbing)

There are various arguments on which is the best formula:

http://slack.e30tuner.com/articles_linetension.php

http://forum.slackline.com/archive/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1279&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 [Broken]

http://www.slacklineexpress.com/force.php [Broken]

I thought it was worth a post to see what you all think.

Thanks for having a look,

Eliot

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
G'dday, Elliotwebb and welcome to Physics Forums.

Firstly let me admit to knowing nothing about the sport of slackline walking.

However from your description of the webbing and the picture in your third reference I would say that all are seriously deficient.

I say this because the line has appreciable width, whereas all the links assume a 'thin' stringlike model.

The point of this is that the width of the webbing is sufficient to transmit torque as well as tension (you can see that in the picture).
The addition of stresses due to both torque and tension being present is more complicated and clearly depends upon the relative values of each.

go well

What is a slackline?

A slackline is a type of tightrope that is used for balance and acrobatic purposes. It is typically made of a flat nylon webbing and is anchored between two fixed points, such as trees or poles.

What is the purpose of a slackline equipment load formula?

The purpose of a slackline equipment load formula is to determine the maximum weight that a slackline can safely hold without breaking or causing damage to the anchor points.

How is the slackline equipment load formula calculated?

The slackline equipment load formula takes into account the length of the slackline, the type of webbing used, and the angle of the slackline. It also considers the weight of the person or objects on the slackline, as well as any additional equipment or tensioning systems.

Why is it important to follow the slackline equipment load formula?

Following the slackline equipment load formula is important to ensure the safety of the slackliner and others in the surrounding area. Overloading a slackline can cause it to break, leading to serious injury or property damage.

Are there any other factors to consider when using a slackline?

Yes, it is important to also consider the condition of the anchor points and the overall setup of the slackline. It is recommended to regularly inspect the slackline and anchor points for any signs of wear or damage.