Pass out of Calc 2 by exam or take the full semester of Calc 2 in the summer

In summary, if you want to pass an exam, taking the full semester is the way to go. If you want to brush up on some topics, taking the semester is not a bad idea.
selig5560
Hi,

I've been debating with myself if I should pass out of calculus 2 by an exam or I should take the full semester. I am currently taking calc 1 this semester. Is there a pro or a con to either of these routes? I also would need to brush up on certain calc 2 topics since I have not taken it in a couple of years (since hs.)

Physics news on Phys.org
There wouldn't be any harm in trying to test out of it. Just try, and if you don't test out, then take the class.

I'd retake it, especially if you plan to go into a class like differential equations which require a solid knowledge of series and some advanced integration techniques.

Angry Citizen said:
I'd retake it, especially if you plan to go into a class like differential equations which require a solid knowledge of series and some advanced integration techniques.
That's a good point.

OP: Now that I think about it, I don't really qualify to answer this. I've only taken calc II and a proof class, so I don't have the perspective to know what you're really going to need from calc II.

TylerH said:
so I don't have the perspective to know what you're really going to need from calc II.
Short answer: All of it.

A lot of the topics covered in an intro calculus sequence may seem random or out of place but you really likely will need everything you learn in calculus at one point or another if you plan on going into engineering, science or possibly math.

Last edited:
If you really study it hard and make the exercises again, then you could test out of it without any problem. But don't just 'revise' everything but actually study it again.

It all depends how efficient you are on self-studying.

Take the class unless taking it means you will not be able to take another class. To the best of my knowledge, Calc II classes usually cover a number of topics that are not covered in HS calculus. Most importantly, infinite series including power series expansions and sometimes Fourier series (especially if you are at a Tech School).

I did well in Calc II and now run a study group for the class. I have learned a lot about calculus by doing this. I assure you that you will benefit from taking the class unless it is unreasonable to fit it in your schedule... If that is the case, who cares, its just math!

1. What is the difference between passing out of Calc 2 by exam and taking the full semester in the summer?

Passing out of Calc 2 by exam means that you have demonstrated mastery of the material without taking the full semester course. Taking the full semester in the summer means that you will complete the course over the course of a few months, typically in a condensed format.

2. How do I know if I am eligible to pass out of Calc 2 by exam?

Eligibility to pass out of Calc 2 by exam varies depending on your academic institution. Typically, you will need to meet certain prerequisites, such as completing Calc 1 with a certain grade and/or passing a placement exam.

3. Is it better to pass out of Calc 2 by exam or take the full semester in the summer?

The answer to this question depends on your individual circumstances. If you are confident in your understanding of the material and have a strong foundation in Calc 1, passing out of Calc 2 by exam may be a good option. However, if you struggled in Calc 1 or are unsure about your understanding of the material, taking the full semester in the summer may be a better choice.

4. Will passing out of Calc 2 by exam affect my GPA?

Passing out of Calc 2 by exam typically does not affect your GPA, as you will not receive a grade for the course. However, if your institution gives you credit for passing the exam, it may improve your overall GPA by allowing you to skip a potentially difficult course.

5. Are there any drawbacks to passing out of Calc 2 by exam?

One potential drawback to passing out of Calc 2 by exam is that you may miss out on important concepts and skills that are taught in the full semester course. This could potentially put you at a disadvantage in future math courses. Additionally, if you do not pass the exam, you may have to take the full semester course anyway, resulting in wasted time and effort.