Small oscillations+normal modes of a system

In summary, the conversation discusses two identical pendulums with a spring connecting them, and the calculation of their proper frequencies and normal coordinates of oscillations. The Lagrangian of the system is derived and the potential energy is calculated, with some algebraic errors initially but later corrected. The potential energy is approximated using small angles, resulting in a simplified expression.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Two identical pendulums of length [itex]l[/itex] hang from a ceiling. Their vertical axis is separated by a distance [itex]l_0[/itex]. They are made by 2 masses m. Between these 2 masses we put a spring of constant k and natural length [itex]l_0[/itex].
Gravity acts verticaly downward.
1)Calculate the proper frequencies of oscillations in the approximation of small oscillations.
2)Determine the normal coordinates of oscillations.
3)Suppose that at [itex]t=0[/itex] both pendulums are at rest for [itex]\theta _1=0[/itex] and [itex]\theta _2=\theta _0[/itex]; find and solve the equations of motion of the system.
Note that [itex]\theta _1[/itex] and [itex]\theta _2[/itex] are the angles that each mass makes with the vertical.

Homework Equations

[itex]L=T-V[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to get the Lagrangian of the system which consists of the sum of 3 Lagrangians, namely one for each mass and one for the spring.
I'm having trouble with the potential energy stored in the spring.
Let [itex]L_1[/itex] and [itex]L_2[/itex] be the Lagrangians for each mass. I found out that [itex]T_1 =\frac{m}{2}l^2 \dot \theta _1 ^2[/itex] while [itex]T_2 =\frac{m}{2}l^2 \dot \theta _2 ^2[/itex]. Potential energy is simply [itex]V_1 = mgl [\cos (\theta _1 ) -1][/itex] and [itex]V_2 = mgl [\cos (\theta _2 ) -1][/itex]. So I can just make up the 2 Lagrangians for these masses.
Now the hard part: for the spring... [itex]L_3=V_3[/itex].
[itex]V_3=\frac{k}{2}(\Delta x ) ^2[/itex] where delta x denotes the elongation/compression of the spring with respect to [itex]l_0[/itex]. So if [itex]\vec r_1[/itex] and [itex]\vec r_2[/itex] denotes the positions of mass 1 and mass 2 respectively, I have that [itex]\Delta x = ||\vec r_1 - \vec r_2|-l _0|[/itex]. Since I will consider [itex](\Delta x ) ^2[/itex] I can safely ignore the external "modulus" ||.
Anyway here is my work: I take my reference system origin at the position of the mass 1 when nothing moves (stable equilibrium position), I have that [itex]\vec r_1 = l\sin \theta _1 \hat i+l (1-\cos \theta _1) \hat j[/itex] and [itex]\vec r _2 =(l_0+l \sin \theta _2)\hat i + (l-l \cos \theta _2 ) \hat j[/itex].
Thus [itex]\vec r_2 -\vec r_1 =[l _0-l (\sin \theta _2 + \sin \theta _1 )]\hat i +l (\cos \theta _1 - \cos \theta _2 )\hat j[/itex].
Now I used some trig identities at http://www.sosmath.com/trig/Trig5/trig5/trig5.html to get that [itex]\vec r_2 -\vec r_1 =\{ l_0-l \left [ 2 \sin \left ( \frac{\theta _1+ \theta _2 }{2} \right ) \cos \left ( \frac{\theta _1- \theta _2 }{2} \right ) \right ] \} \hat i+l \left [ -2 \sin \left ( \frac{\theta _1+ \theta _2 }{2} \right ) \sin \left ( \frac{\theta _1- \theta _2 }{2} \right ) \right ] \hat j[/itex].
I thus calculated [itex]|\vec r_2 - \vec r_1 |=\sqrt {\left [ l_0-2l \sin \left ( \frac{\theta _1 +\theta _2 }{2} \right ) \cos \left ( \frac{\theta _1 -\theta _2 }{2} \right ) \right ]^2+\left [ 2l \sin \left ( \frac{\theta _1 +\theta _2 }{2} \right ) \sin \left ( \frac{\theta _1 -\theta _2 }{2} \right ) \right ]^2}[/itex]. I simplified this to [itex]\sqrt {l_0 ^2 -4ll_0 \sin \left (\frac{\theta _1 + \theta _2 }{2} \right )\cos \left (\frac{\theta _1 - \theta _2 }{2} \right ) +4 l^2\sin ^2 \left (\frac{\theta _1 + \theta _2 }{2} \right ) }[/itex].
Despite having checked out 3 times the algebra I cannot find any mistake, yet the result makes no sense. Indeed, for when [itex]\theta _1 = \theta _2[/itex], I should get [itex]|\vec r_2 - \vec r_1 |=l_0[/itex] but I get a condition for this to be true instead of it being true no matter what. I get the condition [itex]l_0 \sin \theta =l[/itex] for all angles theta. Since this isn't necessarily true, something is wrong... but I don't see what.
I'd appreciate any help and would be glad to know where my mistake lies. Great thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just spotted an algebra mistake for [itex]\vec r_2 -\vec r_1[/itex]. Working on that!

I get [itex]L=\frac{m}{2}l^2(\dot \theta _1 ^2+\dot \theta _2^2)+mgl(2-\cos \theta _1 - \cos \theta _2 )-\frac{k}{2} \{ l_0^2+2ll_0 (\sin \theta _2 - \sin \theta _1)+2l^2[1-\cos (\theta _1-\theta _2 )] \}[/itex].
So that [itex]V(\theta _1 , \theta _2 )=mgl[\cos \theta _1 + \cos ( \theta _2 ) -2]+\frac{k}{2} \{ l_0^2+2ll_0 (\sin \theta _2 - \sin \theta _1)+2l^2[1-\cos (\theta _1-\theta _2 )] \}[/itex].
Now I am unsure if I must use the small angles approximation already, or first approximate this potential by a function of the form [itex]\frac{k}{2}x^2[/itex] in which case I do not know how to do. Any help is appreciated.
Edit: Just spotted another algebra mistake, the potential energy should be even more complicated...Edit 2:Considering from start that [itex]\sin \theta \approx \theta[/itex] and [itex]1-\cos \theta \approx \frac{\theta ^2}{2}[/itex] I reach [itex]V\approx \frac{mgl}{2} (\theta _1 ^2 + \theta _2 ^2 )+k[l_0 ^2+ll_0(\theta _2 - \theta _1 )+\frac{l^2(\theta _2-\theta _1 )^2}{2}-l_0 \sqrt {l_0 ^2+2ll_0 (\theta _2-\theta _1 )+l^2(\theta_2 - \theta _1)^2}][/itex]. Could someone confirm this?

Last edited:

1. What are small oscillations?

Small oscillations refer to the motion of a system around its equilibrium position, where the amplitude of the oscillations is small compared to the size of the system. This type of motion can be described by simple harmonic motion.

2. What are normal modes of a system?

Normal modes are the different possible patterns of motion that a system can exhibit when it is undergoing small oscillations. These modes are characterized by specific frequencies and corresponding amplitudes of oscillation.

3. How are normal modes related to small oscillations?

Normal modes are the result of small oscillations in a system around its equilibrium position. They represent the different ways in which the system can vibrate, and they are determined by the system's physical properties and boundary conditions.

4. How are normal modes calculated?

Normal modes can be calculated by solving the equations of motion for the system, which involve the mass, stiffness, and damping properties of the system. These equations can be solved using mathematical techniques such as eigenvalue analysis or Fourier series.

5. Why are small oscillations and normal modes important in science?

Small oscillations and normal modes are important because they allow us to understand and predict the behavior of systems in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and chemistry. They also provide insights into the fundamental properties and dynamics of these systems, which can lead to advancements in technology and innovations in various industries.