Phosphate adn its role in the human body

In summary: Phosphates are also essential for DNA and other cellular structures. They play a role in photosynthesis and respiration.
Problem+Solve=Reason
Why is phosphate so key in the human body?

----- Life is a problem... SOLVE IT!

Biology news on Phys.org
It's a good question. Everytime I think of questions like yours I think of this. Phosphate is a good example. Phosphate is a key ingrediant to DNA and it's double helix molecular shape. It is a part of any human, and is vital to our survival and evolution. But life didn't come with a set of rules to follow to keep healthy. Water didn't come after life was created because we were thirsty, life was created in water and sunlight, therefore we need water and sunlight to survive. Life evolved to a point where us humans have more than instinct to understand what we are made of and what we need to stay healthy and how much of it.

Chemically, we need phosphote to help boost and grow essential nutrients and elements vital to our body. It also has such an effect of plants and almost any living organism and is vital to life.

Adenosine tri-phosphate (ADP) is the cellular energy carrier; when the cell needs energy it strips off the third phosphate group and exploits the resulting released binding energy.

selfAdjoint said:
Adenosine tri-phosphate (ADP) is the cellular energy carrier; when the cell needs energy it strips off the third phosphate group and exploits the resulting released binding energy.

A minor correction to make: Adenosine tri-phosphate is ATP, and when stripped of its third phosphate group, it becomes adenosine di-phosphate (ADP)

Phosphates also play a part in other parts of respiration, namely in the form of NAD/NADP in respiration, and NADH/NADPH in photosynthesis.

Photosynthesis is explained here: http://photoscience.la.asu.edu/photosyn/education/photointro.html
And respiration here: http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/C/CellularRespiration.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Dumb me! ATP of course. I knew it, but didn't type it.

I assumed as much. I was sure they didn't make you a super mentor for nothing :-)

Phosphate is important because the negative pole strongly attracts free protons as well as cations and weak dipole molecules. The bond is energetic but still easily broken, making phosphate an ideal carrier of energy.

1. What is phosphate and why is it important in the human body?

Phosphate is a mineral that is essential for various biological processes in the human body, including bone formation, energy production, and DNA and RNA synthesis. It is also a component of cell membranes and helps regulate acid-base balance in the body.

2. How does the body obtain phosphate?

Phosphate can be obtained through the diet, primarily from foods high in protein, such as meat, fish, and dairy products. It can also be absorbed from phosphate-containing supplements or medications.

3. What happens if there is too much or too little phosphate in the body?

Having too much phosphate in the body, a condition known as hyperphosphatemia, can lead to calcification of soft tissues, such as blood vessels and organs. On the other hand, low levels of phosphate, or hypophosphatemia, can cause muscle weakness, bone pain, and other health issues.

4. How does phosphate play a role in bone health?

Phosphate is a major component of bones and teeth, along with calcium. It helps maintain the structure and strength of bones and is necessary for the growth and repair of bones. Without enough phosphate, bones can become weak and brittle.

5. Are there any health conditions that can affect phosphate levels in the body?

Yes, several health conditions can cause changes in phosphate levels, including kidney disease, parathyroid disorders, and certain inherited disorders. Medications such as diuretics and antacids may also impact phosphate levels. It is important to consult a healthcare provider if you have concerns about your phosphate levels.