TextPad - Plain text processor.

In summary, TextPad is a powerful, general purpose editor for plain text files. It is available in several languages, and is inexpensive. One copy of the software blocks of text or single columns, sorts, creates macros, and saves files in PC, UNIX, and Mac formats. I have used a paid copy for over 7 years and it handles text files over 100 MB without choking.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
TextPad® 4.7.3 is a powerful, general purpose editor for plain text files.

http://www.textpad.com/

A 'free' trial copy is available, but it is inexpensive, and quite powerful, and it is available in several languages.

I have used a paid copy for over 7 years. It handles text files over 100 MB without choking. One copy blocks of text or single columns, sort, create macros. Saves files in PC, UNIX, Mac formats.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I use it to compile and run my Java programs.TextPad Rocks!

I've gotten used to vim that I don't like to use anything else.

It's good that TextPad demo version is fully functional except that it reminds you once in a while to purchase it.

I love note pad. People in my class don't understand why. I just tell them it isn't loaded with the extraneous crap that word has. Word is useful for some things, but not for writing code. But a context sensitive notepad? Greatness.

franznietzsche said:
I love note pad. People in my class don't understand why. I just tell them it isn't loaded with the extraneous crap that word has. Word is useful for some things, but not for writing code. But a context sensitive notepad? Greatness.
Word is out of question. :mad: As soon as you start writing code it will start auto-corrections and underlining of errors. The simpler the better. Personally I hate tools overloaded with features. They are slow, difficult to use, and may crash. Notepad would do for me to write any kind of source file.

ramollari said:
Word is out of question. :mad: As soon as you start writing code it will start auto-corrections and underlining of errors. The simpler the better. Personally I hate tools overloaded with features. They are slow, difficult to use, and may crash. Notepad would do for me to write any kind of source file.
You can allways disable the features you don't like. :biggrin:

Last edited:

1. What is TextPad?

TextPad is a plain text processor that allows users to create and edit plain text files. It is commonly used for coding, writing notes, and other tasks that do not require advanced formatting.

2. Is TextPad free to use?

No, TextPad is not a free software. It offers a 30-day trial period, after which users need to purchase a license to continue using the software.

3. Can TextPad open and edit other file types?

Yes, TextPad can open and edit various file types, including HTML, XML, CSS, and programming language files such as Java and C++. However, it is not suitable for editing complex documents or files with advanced formatting.

4. Is TextPad available for Mac or Linux operating systems?

No, TextPad is only available for Windows operating systems. However, there are similar software options available for Mac and Linux users, such as Sublime Text and Atom.

5. Can TextPad be used for collaborative work?

No, TextPad does not have collaborative features. It is designed for individual use only.