In integrating to find a volume when is the function included?

In summary, the function is included in the integral when finding volume using a double integral, but not when using a triple integral. This is because in a double integral, we are stacking squares based on the function, while in a triple integral, we are simply adding up tiny cubes. This can also be seen algebraically by integrating over the volume.
Fractal20
I just want to clarify this. I have had trouble before with including the function in the integral when I am trying to find volume. I have come to think that this is necessarily only when it is a double integral. But I had a specific question I posted earlier and I feel like somebody told me that the function is never included.

More specifically, if I have z = f(x,y) and I want to integrate over some domain in the xy plane then I want to say the integral would look like [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] f(x,y) dx dy. Similarly, if it was in polar coords, f(r,theta) then I would have [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] f(r,theta)r dr d theta. I think this is true since the integral is "adding" little boxes of volume z dx dz or z r dr dtheta respectively.

However, if it is a triple integral, whether in spherical, cylindrical or Cartesian, the function is not included in the integral because dV is the little units of volume. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this comes from the way one decides to construct the volume from buildling blocks, so to speak. Whne you find the volume as a double integral, you're dividing the xy plane into a bunch of tiny squares and then stacking squares up to a height based on the given function f. Obviously this is reasonable to find the volume beneath a surface.

When you're finding volume as a triple integral, you're constructing tiny cubes and, to find volume, you need only sum them up. There is no need for a weighting function like f. All cubes are created equal, so to speak.

Thanks for the verification!

Fractal20 said:
I just want to clarify this. I have had trouble before with including the function in the integral when I am trying to find volume. I have come to think that this is necessarily only when it is a double integral. But I had a specific question I posted earlier and I feel like somebody told me that the function is never included.

More specifically, if I have z = f(x,y) and I want to integrate over some domain in the xy plane then I want to say the integral would look like [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] f(x,y) dx dy. Similarly, if it was in polar coords, f(r,theta) then I would have [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] f(r,theta)r dr d theta. I think this is true since the integral is "adding" little boxes of volume z dx dz or z r dr dtheta respectively.

However, if it is a triple integral, whether in spherical, cylindrical or Cartesian, the function is not included in the integral because dV is the little units of volume. Is this correct?
Here's how to see the equivalence algebraically:
Volume = [itex]\int_V dv[/itex]
= [itex]\int \int \int_{z = 0}^{f(x,y)} dz dx dy[/itex]
= [itex]\int \int [z]_{z = 0}^{f(x,y)} dx dy[/itex]
= [itex]\int \int f(x,y) dx dy[/itex]

1. What is the purpose of integrating to find a volume?

The purpose of integrating to find a volume is to calculate the total amount of space occupied by a three-dimensional object. This is useful in many scientific and mathematical applications, such as determining the volume of a liquid or the surface area of a solid.

2. How do I know when to use integration to find a volume?

You should use integration to find a volume when the object you are trying to measure has a continuously changing shape or size. This means that the object cannot be easily measured using traditional formulas, and integration provides a more accurate and precise solution.

3. Can any function be used in integration to find a volume?

Yes, any function can be used in integration to find a volume as long as it represents the shape or size of the object accurately. This includes polynomial, exponential, trigonometric, and logarithmic functions.

4. What is the process for integrating to find a volume?

The process for integrating to find a volume involves breaking down the three-dimensional object into infinitesimally small slices, calculating the volume of each slice using the given function, and then summing up all the volumes using integration. This can be done using various integration techniques, such as the disk method or the shell method.

5. Are there any limitations to using integration to find a volume?

One limitation of using integration to find a volume is that it assumes the object is completely solid and does not account for any empty space or holes within the object. In addition, it may not be applicable for extremely complex or irregularly shaped objects, as it relies on mathematical functions to represent the shape.