Making liquid nitrogen from air

In summary, the conversation revolves around using a refrigerator compressor with counter-current coils for a DIY project to produce liquid oxygen. The foreign wikipedia claims that the Linde method uses a pressure of 200bar, which is unlikely to be achieved with a refrigerator compressor. It is also mentioned that it is easier and safer to buy the equipment from a commercial vendor. There is also a discussion about the use of electrical/magnetic fields in the process and clarification about counter-current coils as a type of heat exchanger.
imsmooth
Has anyone done this as a DIY project? I want to use a refrigerator compressor with counter-current coils.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The foreign wikipedia claims that the Linde method uses a pressure of 200bar. I doubt, that your refrigerator compressor can produce that.

It's infinitely easier to just buy it from a commerical vendor - it's really cheap. Any DIY attempt would likely also make LOX, which could be very dangerous.

imsmooth said:
Has anyone done this as a DIY project? I want to use a refrigerator compressor with counter-current coils.

what are counter-current coils? what would they do?

i know that compressing a gas will cause it to liquefy, depending on temperature, but i don't know how electrical/magnetic fields come into play.

pa5tabear said:
what are counter-current coils? what would they do?

i know that compressing a gas will cause it to liquefy, depending on temperature, but i don't know how electrical/magnetic fields come into play.

he means a countercurrent heat exchanger i.e. you have 2 plug flow reactors one in another, and on the outside one the fluid flows 1 way, the inside one you have the fluid flows another way.

1. How is liquid nitrogen made from air?

Liquid nitrogen is made by compressing and cooling air until it becomes a liquid. This process is known as cryogenic distillation. Air is mostly made up of nitrogen (~78%) and oxygen (~21%), with small amounts of other gases. By cooling the air to extremely low temperatures, the nitrogen becomes a liquid while the oxygen remains a gas.

2. What equipment is needed to make liquid nitrogen from air?

The equipment needed to make liquid nitrogen from air includes a compressor, a heat exchanger, a distillation column, and a condenser. The compressor is used to compress the air, which then enters the heat exchanger and is cooled. The cooled air then enters the distillation column, where the nitrogen and oxygen are separated. The nitrogen vapor is then condensed into liquid form in the condenser.

3. What is the temperature of liquid nitrogen?

The temperature of liquid nitrogen is -196°C (-321°F). This extremely low temperature is achieved by cooling the air to the point where the nitrogen becomes a liquid. At this temperature, liquid nitrogen is used in various scientific and industrial applications, such as freezing and preserving biological samples, creating cryogenic environments for experiments, and cooling electronics.

4. What are the safety precautions for handling liquid nitrogen?

Due to its extremely low temperature, liquid nitrogen can be dangerous if not handled properly. It is important to always wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when handling liquid nitrogen. It should also be stored and transported in well-insulated containers to prevent contact with skin or other materials. Additionally, liquid nitrogen should only be used in well-ventilated areas to prevent build-up of nitrogen gas, which can displace oxygen in the air and cause suffocation.

5. What are the uses of liquid nitrogen?

Liquid nitrogen has a wide range of uses in various industries and scientific fields. It is commonly used for freezing and preserving biological samples, such as sperm and egg cells, tissues, and organs. It is also used in cryotherapy, where it is applied to the skin to treat various conditions. In the food industry, liquid nitrogen is used for flash-freezing and creating unique textures in foods. It also has applications in the semiconductor industry for cooling electronics during manufacturing processes.