Summation Notation for Weak form of Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation from a sum to an integral and the use of a property of integration. The intermediate terms are also explained as writing out a specific term explicitly. The speaker thanks the other person for their input.
bugatti79
Folks,

I am struggling to see what is happening here particularly when ## \displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n-1}## transforms into ##\displaystyle \int_{x_1^e}^{x_{n}^e}##

##\displaystyle 0=\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \left [ \int_{x_i^e}^{x_{i+1}^e} (a \frac{dw}{dx} \frac{du}{dx}+cwu-wf )dx- \left [ w(x) a \frac{du}{dx} \right ]_{x_i^e}^{x_{i+1}^e} \right ]##

##\displaystyle =\int_{x_1^e}^{x_{n}^e} (a \frac{dw}{dx} \frac{du}{dx}+cwu-wf )dx -w(x_1^e) (-a \frac{du}{dx})_{x_1^e}-w(x_2^e) (a \frac{du}{dx})_{x_2^e}-w(x_2^e) (-a \frac{du}{dx})_{x_2^e}-w(x_3^e) (a \frac{du}{dx})_{x_3^e} ...-w(x_{n-1}^e) (-a \frac{du}{dx})_{x_{n-1}^e}-w(x_{n}^e) (a \frac{du}{dx})_{x_{n}^e}##

Could anyone shed some light on what is happening..?

Apparently it is carried out in intervals of ##(x_1^e, x_2^e), (x_2^e, x_3^e),(x_{n-1}^e, x_n^e)##

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am no expert on this, but I think he's using a the property of integration
[tex] \int^{b}_{a} f + \int^{c}_{b} f = \int^{c}_{a} f [/tex]
the intermediate terms are just writing out the [tex][w(x)a\frac{du}{dx}]^{x^{e}_{i+1}}_{x^{e}_{i}} [/tex] explicitly

dragonlorder said:
I am no expert on this, but I think he's using a the property of integration
[tex] \int^{b}_{a} f + \int^{c}_{b} f = \int^{c}_{a} f [/tex]
the intermediate terms are just writing out the [tex][w(x)a\frac{du}{dx}]^{x^{e}_{i+1}}_{x^{e}_{i}} [/tex] explicitly

Thanks. That helps my interpretation. I knew the intermediate terms.
Regards

1. What is summation notation?

Summation notation, also known as sigma notation, is a mathematical shorthand used to represent a series of numbers or terms that follow a specific pattern. It is denoted by the symbol Σ, which stands for "sum", and includes a variable, a starting value, an ending value, and an expression that defines the pattern.

2. How is summation notation used in the weak form of a differential equation?

In the weak form of a differential equation, summation notation is used to represent the integral of a function over a specific domain. This notation is helpful in simplifying and standardizing the representation of the differential equation, making it easier to manipulate and solve.

3. What are the advantages of using summation notation in the weak form of a differential equation?

Using summation notation in the weak form of a differential equation allows for a more concise and organized representation of the equation. It also helps to identify the pattern and relationships between terms, making it easier to analyze and solve the equation.

4. Can summation notation be used for any type of differential equation?

Yes, summation notation can be used for any type of differential equation as long as it is in weak form. This includes both linear and nonlinear differential equations.

5. How can I evaluate a summation notation in the weak form of a differential equation?

To evaluate a summation notation in the weak form of a differential equation, you can use various methods such as applying the properties of summation, using tables or formulas for common patterns, or using a computer program or calculator that supports summation notation.