Probability of something happening given the mean and the standard deviation.

In summary, the conversation discusses a practice problem involving the number of hurricanes occurring during hurricane season in the Caribbean. The mean number of hurricanes is 8 with a standard deviation of 2.83. The question is to find the probability that the number of hurricanes will be greater than 4 and less than 12 in any given season. The conversation explores using a binomial distribution, but concludes that the normal distribution may be a better approximation. The suggestion is also made to consider using a Poisson distribution instead.
DanielJackins
I'm doing a practice problem for my upcoming midterm and am stuck on a question.

3. The number of hurricanes that occur in the caribbean during hurricane season is a random variable, where the mean number of hurricanes occurring is 8, or E(X) = 8, with a standard deviation of 2.83.
(a) Find the probability, that in any given hurricane season, the number of hurricanes in the caribbean will be greater than 4 and less than 12.

So I figured this follows a binomial distribution. Given that, I noted that E(X)= np = 8, and that SD(X) = sqrt(Var(X)) = sqrt(np(1-p)) = 2.83. Knowing that information, I solved for p in 2.83 = sqrt(np(1-p)) and subbed in np = 8, and eventually got p = -.0011125. Which must be wrong.(?)

I don't even know if I'm on the right track, or am making some silly mistake.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps the problem wants you to assume the number of hurricanes is normally distributed since it didn't tell you anything about the "number of trials" = number of opportunities to made a random draw for a hurricane.

What you did is an interesting way of thinking about the problem and I wouldn't say it was "wrong". It's just that the conclusion it produces shows that the assumption of a binomial distribution doesn't work.

(It's also true that the assumption of a normal distribution doesn't really work since the number of hurricanes is a discrete variable and bounded below. However, the normal distribution is frequently applied as an approximation in situations where it can't really be the exact distribution.)

DanielJackins said:
I'm doing a practice problem for my upcoming midterm and am stuck on a question.

3. The number of hurricanes that occur in the caribbean during hurricane season is a random variable, where the mean number of hurricanes occurring is 8, or E(X) = 8, with a standard deviation of 2.83.
(a) Find the probability, that in any given hurricane season, the number of hurricanes in the caribbean will be greater than 4 and less than 12.

So I figured this follows a binomial distribution. Given that, I noted that E(X)= np = 8, and that SD(X) = sqrt(Var(X)) = sqrt(np(1-p)) = 2.83. Knowing that information, I solved for p in 2.83 = sqrt(np(1-p)) and subbed in np = 8, and eventually got p = -.0011125. Which must be wrong.(?)

I don't even know if I'm on the right track, or am making some silly mistake.

I haven't checked your math, but assume it is correct. I would assume that they want you to use the normal approximation to the binomial. If you've just been taught that, then I'm sure that's what it is. If you haven't been taught that, then I dunno.

You sure this isn't a Poisson question?

Pythagorean said:
You sure this isn't a Poisson question?
That's a good idea. It avoids a numerical contradiction and it is for a discrete random variable.

1. What is the meaning of "probability of something happening" in this context?

The probability of something happening refers to the likelihood of a particular event occurring. In this context, it specifically refers to the chance of a certain outcome or result happening based on known information such as the mean and standard deviation.

2. How is the mean and standard deviation used to calculate the probability of something happening?

The mean and standard deviation are used in probability calculations to determine the likelihood of a certain event happening. The mean represents the average value of a dataset, while the standard deviation measures the spread of the data around the mean. Together, these values can be used to determine the probability of a specific outcome.

3. Can the probability of something happening be greater than 1?

No, the probability of something happening cannot be greater than 1. A probability of 1 represents a 100% chance of an event occurring, while a probability of 0 represents a 0% chance. Any value above 1 would indicate a probability greater than 100%, which is not possible.

4. How does the probability change if the mean and/or standard deviation are altered?

The probability of something happening can change if the mean and/or standard deviation are altered. A higher mean or a smaller standard deviation would result in a higher probability, while a lower mean or a larger standard deviation would result in a lower probability. This is because these values directly affect the distribution of the data and therefore, the likelihood of a certain event occurring.

5. Is it possible to have a negative probability of something happening?

No, it is not possible to have a negative probability of something happening. A negative probability would imply that an event has a chance of not happening, which is not possible in a probabilistic context. All probabilities must fall between 0 and 1, with 0 indicating impossibility and 1 indicating certainty.