What Are Good Physics Textbooks with Problems and Solutions Included?

In summary: Anyone know any decent classical mechanics and/or thermo/statistical mechanics books that have many problems along with solutions? There are a few books out there that offer this. One book that comes to mind is "Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics" by Greiner. It's a very thick book, but it has a lot of problems and solutions.
Dathascome
Anyone know any decent classical mechanics and/or thermo/statistical mechanics books that have many problems along with solutions?

I hate that the books I do have, which have no solutions particlely (just talking about the stat of solutions and not the hateing of text here). It's not reasonable to go to professors or come here with every problem I have you know? I know that doing problems is the way to learn, but doing a hundred problems and not knowing whether they are right or wrong doesn't help me at all.

Something else that may help is solutions manuals if anyone knows where I can obtain those. It's just kind of sad the way the education sysytem works. Do the people making these books think that every student taking an upper level physics course is just going to copy all the answers or something? Aren't most people taking these sorts of courses doing it to learn? So why would they not put solutions in then?

I found a quantum mechanics book by a guy named Zettlil and it seems awesome so far and so far as I can tell. No sacrifice for text (as far as I know) to put in solutions to his problems. Why is it so rare to find a textbook and problem/solution book all rolled up into one?

Sorry for the blabbering. Yeah so if anyone knows good books with solutions or where I can find solutions manuals that would be awesome, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
My impression is that many of the publishing companies are now offering companion solution manuals with their texts. Pay them 100 to 150 for a text and for about another 40 you can buy a student solution manual, usually for the odd numbered problems they give answers for in the back of the book. Check out their web sites and see if solution manuals are avialable.

Greiner's book on Thermodynamics & Statistical Mechanics is really nice.I reccomend it.I don't know if it's expensive or not,but i don't think it will cost too much.

Daniel.

Dathascome said:
Anyone know any decent classical mechanics and/or thermo/statistical mechanics books that have many problems along with solutions?

Rea publisher has a series of very thick books full of problems and solutions, and classical mechanics and thermo are two of them. I think it's called REA's Problem Solver or something to that effect.

And of course, there's always the standby, the Schaum Outline.

Zz.

Cool, thanks for the help all :approve:

There's a whole series of books put out by the Chinese (in English, fortunately) which offers problems and solutions in a wide variety of topics. World Scientific Press.

Go to Amazon and search for "problems and solutions on mechanics". The 2nd and 3rd results are probably ones you are interested in.

They are not textbooks though, and don't always have the most complete explanations.

I have that book and they don't excel on explaining.It contains problems given at test in US Colleges.

There are better options.

Daniel.

1. What are "text books with solutions"?

"Text books with solutions" refer to textbooks that not only provide the necessary information and theories, but also include detailed solutions to problems and exercises within the text.

2. How can "text books with solutions" benefit students?

"Text books with solutions" can benefit students by providing them with a better understanding of the material through the step-by-step solutions to problems. This can also help students to practice and apply the concepts they have learned.

3. Are "text books with solutions" only available for specific subjects?

No, "text books with solutions" are available for a wide range of subjects, including math, science, history, language arts, and more. They can also be found for different levels of education, from elementary to university.

4. How can I find and purchase "text books with solutions"?

You can find "text books with solutions" at your local bookstore, online book retailers, or through the publisher's website. You can also check with your school's bookstore for available options.

5. Are "text books with solutions" a substitute for studying and learning?

No, "text books with solutions" should be used as a supplement to studying and learning. They can provide additional practice and help to clarify difficult concepts, but it is still important for students to actively engage with the material and seek help from teachers or tutors if needed.