Ray diagrams, lenses and microscopes

In summary, an image is not formed by the objective lens in an infinity optical system. The focal point of the lens on the object side is always the same, and the role of the tube lens is to converge the parallel rays traveling in line with the principal axis.
u0362565
Hi all,

I've been reading about biconvex lenses, drawing ray diagrams and real/virtual images. I'm now trying to translate this into how an image is formed in a compound infinity optics microscope. And this has raised some questions:
-In an infinity optical system the object is placed at a distance (F) the focal point of the lens on the object side and therefore the lens converts the refracting rays to parallel ray bundles on the image side?
-Because the object is always placed at the focal point an image is not formed by the objective?
-The role of the tube lens is to converge the parallel rays traveling in line with the principal axis?
-The point at which the rays converge on passing through the tube lens is the focal point of the tube lens on the image side, the intermediate image plane?
-If the light travels in parallel lines between the objective and tube lens, is the light therefore collimated? And the objective is basically a collimator?

Really I'm just wondering if my understanding on the above is correct? Ray diagrams tend to over-simplify things.

Thanks for the help!

Science news on Phys.org
Basically, you are on the right track. A few comments:

1) don't confuse the focal length with the working distance. The working distance is the physical distance from the front of the objective to the sample plane.
2) The 'infinity region', between the objective and the tube lens, allows auxiliary optical components to be inserted (filters, etc.) without requiring adjustment of the sample plane.
3) By splitting the objective lens into objective+tube lens, aberration balancing and correction can be more easily designed (typically spherical and chromatic)- this is why infinity-corrected objectives made by one manufacturer can't easily be used with another manufacturer's microscopes.
4) It's possible to use an infinity-corrected objective all by itself- when we say the image plane is 'at infinity', in practice that means 'a meter or so'. Of course, you lose the aberration correction of the tube lens.

thanks andy that all makes sense. I had fairly simple lens and ray diagrams in my head so in this over-simplified example the focal length and the working distance are basically the same i think.. If you can create an image only with the objective lens then the light does eventually converge, so to think of it being parallel rays is only partially true i suppose.

cheers

1. What is a ray diagram?

A ray diagram is a drawing that shows the path that light rays follow when they pass through a lens or other optical device. It is used to predict where an image will appear and how it will look.

2. How do lenses work?

Lenses work by bending and focusing light rays in order to form an image. Convex lenses, also known as converging lenses, bend light inward and can produce real, inverted images. Concave lenses, also known as diverging lenses, bend light outward and can produce virtual, upright images.

3. What is the difference between a compound microscope and a simple microscope?

A compound microscope uses two lenses, an objective lens and an eyepiece, to magnify an image. A simple microscope, also known as a single lens microscope, only has one lens and is typically used for low magnification.

4. How do microscopes magnify images?

Microscopes magnify images by using lenses to bend and focus light rays, allowing us to see objects that are too small to be seen with the naked eye. The magnification is determined by the combination of lenses used and can range from 40x to over 1000x in most microscopes.

5. What is the difference between a convex and concave lens?

A convex lens is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, causing it to bend light inward. A concave lens is thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges, causing it to bend light outward. This difference in shape and bending of light is what allows lenses to produce different types of images.