Potential difference and battery

In summary, a battery uses chemical energy to create charge separation, known as EMF, which allows for a maximum current to be supported. This is similar to filling an empty tank, like a capacitor, with the battery acting as a "chemical pump." To better understand this concept, it is recommended to refer to a book on basic electronics.
kartikwat
How does a battery creates a potential difference and what is the intuative way to look at potential difference when studying capacitance

Physics news on Phys.org
Kartikwat, you seem to be asking a lot about electrical circuits. May I recommend a book on basic electronics? You can find plenty of them at a local bookstore or online.

Yes sure it will be helpful

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting any particular book, I'm suggesting that you go out and purchase one for yourself if you haven't already. A search for books on basic electronics or electronic circuits should turn up plenty.

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and determines the amount of work needed to move a unit of charge from one point to another.

2. How is potential difference related to battery?

A battery is a device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy. When a battery is connected to a circuit, it creates a potential difference between its positive and negative terminals, which causes the flow of electrons and powers the circuit.

3. What is the unit of potential difference?

The unit of potential difference is the volt (V), named after Italian physicist Alessandro Volta. One volt is equal to one joule of energy per coulomb of charge.

4. How does potential difference affect the flow of current?

According to Ohm's Law, the current (I) flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the potential difference (V) and inversely proportional to the resistance (R) of the conductor. This means that as the potential difference increases, the current also increases.

5. Can potential difference be negative?

Yes, potential difference can be negative. A negative potential difference means that the electric potential at the starting point is higher than the ending point. This can occur when the direction of flow of electrons is opposite to the direction of conventional current flow.