Question involving beats and sound waves

In summary, when two sound waves with different frequencies combine, they create a beat pattern. However, the frequency of the beat pattern is not the same as the highest frequency of the two waves. Instead, it is determined by the difference between the two frequencies. This principle is used in AM radio signals. The addition of the two waves can be seen in the equation y(t) = Acos(\omega_1t) + Acos(\omega_2t), where the resulting graph shows a beat pattern when \omega_1 is significantly smaller than \omega_2.
insertnamehere
Hi, I have a question involving beats and sound waves.
When two sound waves (one with a MUCH LARGER Frequency than the other) combine, what would happen? Would there still be a beat pattern? Me, I think that if there still is a beat pattern, it would have the same frequency as that of the highest frequency of one of the combining waves. Am I right, or horribly wrong? I'm really puzzled by this. Thank you very much for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
insertnamehere said:
Me, I think that if there still is a beat pattern, it would have the same frequency as that of the highest frequency of one of the combining waves. Am I right, or horribly wrong?

Check your book and find the formula for the beat frequency. It is not the higher of the two combining frequencies.

If wave #1 has a much larger frequency than wave #2, then what you get is (approximately) a wave of frequency #1 whose amplitude varies according to frequency #2. This is the principle used in AM (amplitude modulation) radio signals.

IMO, the answer can be seen clearly by looking at the "unmanipulated" equation of "beats", i.e. the simple addition of the two waves:

[tex]y(t) = Acos(\omega_1t) + Acos(\omega_2t)[/tex]

what does the addition of these two graph looks like if [itex]\omega_1 << \omega_2[/itex]?

What are beats?

Beats are a phenomenon that occurs when two sound waves with slightly different frequencies interfere with each other. This results in a periodic variation in the amplitude of the sound.

How are beats created?

Beats are created when two sound waves with slightly different frequencies overlap and interfere with each other. This interference causes constructive and destructive interference, resulting in variation in the amplitude of the sound.

What is the beat frequency?

The beat frequency is the difference between the frequencies of the two sound waves that are producing beats. For example, if one sound wave has a frequency of 300 Hz and another has a frequency of 310 Hz, the beat frequency would be 10 Hz.

How can beats be used in music?

Beats are often used in music to create a rhythmic effect. By combining two sound waves with slightly different frequencies, musicians can create a beat frequency that adds texture and depth to the music.

What is the relationship between beat frequency and pitch?

The beat frequency is inversely proportional to the difference in pitch between the two sound waves. This means that the higher the difference in pitch, the lower the beat frequency, and vice versa.