Calculating Probability Current for Wave Function

Any thoughts?In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the probability current for a given wave function. The first method involves using the general equation j = \frac{\hbar}{m}|A|^{2}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}, while the second method involves using the equation j = \frac{\hbar}{2mi}\left( \psi^{*} \frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x} - \psi \frac{\partial\psi^{*}}{\partial x} \right). The two methods result in the same answer, but the second method also includes an additional term of e^{-2ax^{2}}. The participants question whether this term should be absorbed into the constant A or
T-7

Homework Statement

I have a wave function,

[tex]\psi(x)=Ae^{ik_{0}x-ax^{2}}[/tex]

All I am required to do is calc. the prob. current. This I have done using the usual

[tex]j = \frac{\hbar}{m}.|A|^{2}.\frac{\partial \varphi}{\partial z}[/tex]

where [tex]\varphi}[/tex] is the imaginary component of the exponent of e.

It comes (of course) to [tex]j = \frac{\hbar}{m}.|A|^{2}.k_{0}[/tex].

But, doing it the long way (I just thought I would), with

[tex]j = \frac{\hbar}{2mi}.(\psi*\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}-\psi\frac{\partial\psi*}{\partial x})[/tex]

I end up with the same result, but [tex]e^{-2ax^{2}}[/tex] attached. Since taking [tex]\psi*[/tex] only changes the sign of the imaginary component, this seems inevitable... anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently A from the general expression you quoted

[tex] j=\frac{\hbar}{m}|A|^{2}\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} [/tex]

includes the real exponential...

T-7 said:

Homework Statement

I have a wave function,

[tex]\psi(x)=Ae^{ik_{0}x-ax^{2}}[/tex]

All I am required to do is calc. the prob. current. This I have done using the usual

[tex]j = \frac{\hbar}{m}.|A|^{2}.\frac{\partial \varphi}{\partial z}[/tex]

where [tex]\varphi}[/tex] is the imaginary component of the exponent of e.
? Where did you see this equation? It does not look right to me. are you sure this is not only for plane waves??

nrqed said:
? Where did you see this equation? It does not look right to me. are you sure this is not only for plane waves??

I'm thinking the simpler equation can only apply where the exponent of e in the wave function is wholly imaginary.

Using the equation

[tex]j = \frac{\hbar}{2mi}\left( \psi^{*} \frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x} - \psi \frac{\partial\psi^{*}}{\partial x} \right)[/tex]

I obtain

[tex] \frac{\hbar}{m}|A|^{2}e^{-2ax^{2}} k_{0}[/tex]

I presume that's correct. In which case, I don't think the [tex]e^{-2ax^{2}}[/tex] should be absorbed into A. The probability current is a function of x.

Hmmm.

Last edited:

What is the concept of probability current for a wave function?

The concept of probability current for a wave function is a mathematical tool used to describe the flow of probability in quantum mechanics. It represents the rate at which the probability density of a particle changes over time as it moves through space.

How is probability current calculated for a wave function?

Probability current for a wave function can be calculated using the continuity equation, which states that the change in probability density over time is equal to the negative divergence of the probability current. This involves taking the partial derivative of the probability density with respect to time and spatial coordinates.

What is the significance of probability current in quantum mechanics?

The significance of probability current in quantum mechanics is that it allows us to understand the behavior of particles on a microscopic level. It helps us to predict the movement and interactions of particles, and is a fundamental concept in understanding the principles of quantum mechanics.

Can probability current be negative?

Yes, probability current can be negative. This means that the flow of probability is in the opposite direction of the particle's motion. A negative probability current can occur when a particle is moving towards a region of lower probability density, and the overall change in probability over time is negative.

How is probability current related to the uncertainty principle?

Probability current is related to the uncertainty principle in that it is used to calculate the uncertainty in a particle's position and momentum. The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know a particle's position, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa. Probability current helps to quantify this relationship and understand the limitations of simultaneously measuring position and momentum in quantum mechanics.