Poisson's equation in 2 dimensions

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary, the solution to Poisson's equation for a singular charge in a world with 2 spatial dimensions is not the same as the solution in 3 dimensions. This is because Gauss's law for flux and source charge is different in 2 dimensions, resulting in a logarithmic dependence instead of a 1/r dependence for the potential. However, there is still a divergence at infinity, and to accurately model the potential in 2 dimensions, Neumann boundary conditions may need to be used.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

If we lived in a world with 2 spatial dimensions, would the solution to Poisson's equation for a singular charge be the same i.e. would it be 1/r radial dependence?
I am doing a computer simulation and if I take out the third dimension, the results are manifestly different.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be manifestly different. Look at Gauss's law for flux integral vs source charge. In two dimensions, it's a log.

Sorry. Could you explain that more.

In 3 dimensions, Gauss's law says that the flux of E through a surface around a charge q is given by

[tex] \int _{S} \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{a} = \frac{q}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]

In two dimensions, it is just over a closed path instead of circle and you replace the da by a d(normal vector to the curve) or something.

What are you saying is a log in two dimensions?

Last edited:
The 1/r dependence in 3d is for the potential U. In your 2d example you can conclude that (take a circle for the curve) E*length of curve is proportional to charge. So E is proportional to 1/r. But E=-dU/dr. So U must be like log(r).

Last edited:
But then the potential is infinity at infinity? I think maybe Gauss's law would be different in 2 dimensions.

Last edited:
Yes. If you integrate a 1/r force from something to infinity, it diverges. Try one dimension as well. The force is a constant independent of distance. Potential is a linear function of r. Also infinite at infinity. Remind you of anything?

Dick said:
Yes. If you integrate a 1/r force from something to infinity, it diverges. Try one dimension as well. The force is a constant independent of distance. Potential is a linear function of r. Also infinite at infinity. Remind you of anything?

Not really.

But try inserting ln( sqrt(x^2 +y^2)) into the two dimensional poisson equation i.e. the gradient only has two components. I get 1/sqrt(x^2 + y^2) = rho/epsilon_0, which is not a solution.

But I just tried the 3 dimensional solution U = 1/sqrt(x^2 +y^2 +z^2) and I get 0 = rho/epsilon_0 .

So, what could be wrong? Now I am really confused. I am using a point charge at 0, so the RHS of Poisson's equation should be a delta function?

You should get 0 in both cases. Your source is only at the origin so the laplacian is correctly giving you the charge density=0, at the origin it's singular. To test that your solution is a delta function you have to integrate it against a test function and use integration by parts.

Aha, I see now.

In my model, I was putting the charge in a square with a boundary condition that the sides of the square have a potential of 0. In 3 dimensions it made sense to make the sides of the box around the charge zero as an approximation of infinity, but in 2 dimensions that breaks down apparently. I am not really sure how you would make an accurate numerical model of the potential in two dimensions then since I can't have a boundary condition of infinity.

Maybe I need to use Neumann boundary conditions or something.

Thanks.

Last edited:

1. What is Poisson's equation in 2 dimensions?

Poisson's equation in 2 dimensions is a partial differential equation that describes the relationship between the potential field and its sources in a two-dimensional space. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems related to electrostatics, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer.

2. What is the mathematical form of Poisson's equation in 2 dimensions?

The mathematical form of Poisson's equation in 2 dimensions is ∇²φ = ρ, where ∇² is the Laplace operator, φ is the potential field, and ρ is the source function. This equation states that the Laplacian of the potential field is equal to the source function.

3. What are the boundary conditions for solving Poisson's equation in 2 dimensions?

The boundary conditions for solving Poisson's equation in 2 dimensions depend on the specific problem being solved. They are usually specified as either Dirichlet boundary conditions, which prescribe the value of the potential at the boundary, or Neumann boundary conditions, which prescribe the normal derivative of the potential at the boundary.

4. How is Poisson's equation in 2 dimensions solved numerically?

There are several numerical methods for solving Poisson's equation in 2 dimensions, including finite difference methods, finite element methods, and spectral methods. These methods discretize the domain and approximate the Laplacian and source function to obtain a system of linear equations, which can then be solved using techniques like matrix inversion or iterative methods.

5. What are some applications of Poisson's equation in 2 dimensions?

Poisson's equation in 2 dimensions has a wide range of applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in electrostatics to study the electric field and potential around charged objects. It is also used in fluid dynamics to model the velocity field and pressure distribution in a fluid. In heat transfer, it can be used to analyze the temperature distribution in a system. Other applications include image processing and computer graphics.