Draft re Ricci vs Riemann tensors

In summary, the Einstein field equation uses the Ricci tensor instead of the Riemann tensor. The Ricci tensor has ten degrees of freedom and the Riemann tensor has 24, so some information has been lost in the process of contracting the Riemann tensor to get the Ricci. It seems to follow that that information has no impact on gravitation.
andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Draft re Ricci vs Riemann tensors

This one is really just the beginning of a musing. I can't even remember if I came to any conclusion or just forgot about it. I started a thread in Jan 2014, a couple of months after this blog post, on the related issue of what the physical significance of the Ricci tensor is, and got some answers. I can't remember now whether they would have also covered off the questions raised in what is below.

So, despite its incompleteness and uncertainty, I'll save it here so I have the option of reactivating it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been thinking about the fact that Einstein's field equation uses the Ricci rather than the Riemann tensor. The Ricci tensor has ten degrees of freedom and the Riemann tensor has 24, so some information has been lost in the process of contracting the Riemann tensor to get the Ricci. It seems to follow that that information has no impact on gravitation. I've been wondering what sort of information that is, and whether it can be described in some physical, intuitive way.

One way to think of it is as follows: Let ##TR=_{def}T_P^*M\otimes(T_PM)^3## be the space of (1 3) tensors at a point P in spacetime M, and let ##RiccContract(R)## denote the contraction of a (1 3) tensor on the 1st and 3rd indices.

Then, for a given Ricci tensor ##R^{Ricci}## at P, is there some pattern of the following set of vectors, which share a common Ricci contraction?

$$S(R^{Ricci},i,j,k) = \{R(\vec{e}_i, \vec{e}_j, \vec{e}_k) : R\in TR, RiccContract(R)=R^{Ricci}\}$$

The set has two degrees of freedom and so might trace out a two-dimensional surface in the 4-dimensional space-time. If that surface were a [yes, it really did stop in the middle of a sentence!]

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to follow that that information has no impact on gravitation.

I would not really put it that way. I think what happens is that the Einstein equations connect the local geometry of space-time to local sources of energy-momentum; as such, the energy-momentum tensor only specifies a very specific combination of components of the Riemann tensor, known as the Einstein tensor. This tensor is formed from the trace of Riemann ( being the Ricci tensor ) as well as its contraction, the Ricci scalar, and the metric. However, the information that is not specified here is contributions by distant sources of energy-momentum, i.e. gravitational radiation of distant sources, which is encapsulated in the Weyl tensor, being the traceless part of Riemann. So, in order to completely "fix" the Riemann tensor, one needs to specify other constrains over and above the Einstein equations.

I am just an amateur, so the real experts on this will probably correct me - which I am looking forward to, as it will allow me to learn also :)

1. What is the difference between the Ricci and Riemann tensors?

The Ricci tensor is a mathematical object that describes the intrinsic curvature of a space, while the Riemann tensor is a more general object that describes both intrinsic and extrinsic curvature. The Ricci tensor is derived from the Riemann tensor, but it contains less information.

2. How are the Ricci and Riemann tensors used in physics?

The Ricci and Riemann tensors are used in physics to study the properties of spacetime and to solve Einstein's equations of general relativity. They are also used in other areas of physics, such as in cosmology and string theory.

3. Can the Ricci and Riemann tensors be used to determine the curvature of a space?

Yes, the Ricci and Riemann tensors can be used to calculate the curvature of a space. The Ricci tensor is a contraction of the Riemann tensor and provides a measure of the curvature at a specific point in a space.

4. What is the significance of the Ricci and Riemann tensors in differential geometry?

The Ricci and Riemann tensors play a crucial role in differential geometry, which is the branch of mathematics that studies curved spaces. They are used to define and measure curvature, which is a fundamental concept in differential geometry.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Ricci and Riemann tensors?

Yes, the Ricci and Riemann tensors have many practical applications, such as in navigation systems, satellite communication, and GPS technology. They are also used in computer graphics to create realistic 3D images and in medical imaging to analyze brain structure.