Developing with VB.net and Visual Studio

• Thread starter Dagenais
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Visual
In summary: If you have no experience with other languages, you might want to try some before you come to any conclusions.Originally posted by In summary, I've been developing with VB.net with Visual Studio. It's super fun and easy to use, but it's overpriced. I suggest most of you try it out.
Dagenais
I've been developing with VB.net with Visual Studio.

Super fun and easy to use if you have a good tutorial.

I suggest most of you try it out.

I wanted to buy my own copy of Visual Studio, but it's highly overpriced.

I'll probably just buy a regular version of Visual Basic.net. Hopefully it's just as easy to use.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
wouldn't touch VB even if I get paid.
why don't you try at least C instead? or Java... ?

wouldn't touch VB even if I get paid.

VB.net is different from Visual Basic.

Originally posted by Dagenais
VB.net is different from Visual Basic.

In that you need the .net application layer to run the program?

I'll stick to c/c++ thank you very much.

I agree. I use Visual Studio .NET at work and it's a great tool! It doesn't write -just- VB, you can also write C# which is what I use it for, and of course many other languages.

Visual Studio is the first development tool I've ever used that WORKS. I mean it really works! It even produces organized, uncluttered code, even in HTML! I'm still an avid supporter of plain-text programming or even assembly-level programming if you have the skill, but if you don't, Visual Studio is a life saver. You might want a dual-monitor setup though...

P.S. - Stop hating. Any language has its benefits, even VB. Even Fortran and COBOL are still used to this day!

Originally posted by dduardo
In that you need the .net application layer to run the program?

I'll stick to c/c++ thank you very much.

The code is suppose to be really different.

I believe you can use Visual Studio for C++. Why not spend the money and make your life easier? :wink: :wink:

Click me. You know you wanna.

Originally posted by Pergatory
Visual Studio is the first development tool I've ever used that WORKS. I mean it really works! It even produces organized, uncluttered code, even in HTML! I'm still an avid supporter of plain-text programming or even assembly-level programming if you have the skill, but if you don't, Visual Studio is a life saver. You might want a dual-monitor setup though...

P.S. - Stop hating. Any language has its benefits, even VB. Even Fortran and COBOL are still used to this day!

1) what other development tools did you try that were soooo lame?
2) Yes that's true a dual-monitor setup for this version... And a monitor wall with specialized video server for the next version... And maybe a hologhraphic display with smell generation and mind reading interface for the Longhorn version... does that seems like a Microsoft development pattern?
3) PIC assembler is probably more used than VB. Fortran and COBOL are used mainly for maintenence purpose. I didn't hear about Apache or WMP ported to Fortran yet...

Nobody's hating anthing. we are just showing the perils of a proprietary programming language...

Last edited:
Here are some open source IDEs that don't cost a dime. I've used both Visual Studios and Kdevelop and I have to say the Kdevelop is the better of the two.

www.kdevelop.org
http://www.eclipse.org/

If you really want to do .NET you should look into Mono. It is an open source implementation that can run on a host of systems.

http://developer.ximian.com/projects/mono/

Also, GCC is much more mature than Micrsoft's compiler, and produces better output files.

http://gcc.gnu.org/

-------------

Yes every language has a purpose, but I would rather choose a non-proprietary language that I know 10-20 years down the road i'll be able to still run my programs on almost any type of hardware I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) what other development tools did you try that were soooo lame?

That's all you've got?

You dislike VB because you hear it's "lame"?

you really should read more than one line in a post before responding... eventualy the post it was addressed to ... you know to feel the context ...

2) Yes that's true a dual-monitor setup for this version... And a monitor wall with specialized video server for the next version... And maybe a hologhraphic display with smell generation and mind reading interface for the Longhorn version... does that seems like a Microsoft development pattern?
3) PIC assembler is probably more used than VB. Fortran and COBOL are used mainly for maintenence purpose. I didn't hear about Apache or WMP ported to Fortran yet...

Real convincing. Nothing related to Visual Studio.

you seem to have an obsession with Visual Studio. Have YOU tried anything else?

And don't get me started on Windows programming. You say VB is great and fabulous. have you tried to open a Empty project (yes, it is an option in Visual Studio very often overlooked by coll Windoze programmers) and try to make a window from pure code? have you tried to program something in DirectX or even OpenGL? have you tried to do a driver in Win?

first do this in your sweet VB then tell me how many months did it take and then hurry and recommend something just because it makes beautiful windows when generated by a script you don't understand...

YAFW = Yet Another Flame War

Come on guys. You keep on making me close threads because the discussion goes from topic to Windows versus Linux.

Just use the tool that your more confortable with that does the job

1. What is VB.net and Visual Studio?

VB.net is a programming language that is part of the larger .NET framework developed by Microsoft. It is used for developing various types of applications, including web, desktop, and mobile. Visual Studio is an integrated development environment (IDE) created by Microsoft specifically for developing applications using VB.net and other languages.

2. What are the advantages of using VB.net and Visual Studio?

One of the main advantages of using VB.net and Visual Studio is that they are both user-friendly and have a large community of developers who can provide support and resources. Additionally, Visual Studio has a variety of tools and features that make the development process more efficient, such as debugging capabilities, code completion, and built-in templates for different types of applications.

3. Can VB.net and Visual Studio be used for web development?

Yes, VB.net and Visual Studio can be used for web development. Visual Studio has a web development environment called Visual Studio Web Developer that supports various web technologies such as HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. VB.net can be used in combination with these languages to create dynamic and interactive web applications.

4. Is VB.net and Visual Studio suitable for beginners?

Yes, VB.net and Visual Studio can be a great choice for beginners. The language is relatively easy to learn, and Visual Studio provides a user-friendly interface with helpful features for beginners, such as code completion and debugging tools. Additionally, there is a large community of developers who can provide support and resources for those just starting out.

5. Are there any limitations to using VB.net and Visual Studio?

Like any programming language and IDE, there are certain limitations to using VB.net and Visual Studio. For example, they are both specific to the Windows operating system, so they may not be the best choice for developing cross-platform applications. Additionally, some developers may argue that other languages and IDEs have more advanced features and capabilities. However, for most types of applications, VB.net and Visual Studio are a reliable and efficient choice.