The universe caused itself?

• Thread starter celebrei
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, Sean Carroll once wrote a paper to that effect. Apparently he since withdrew it. I believe Max Tegmark has also speculated on it as well. The theory goes that the universe arose from a quantum fluctuation in whatever state existed a prior to that. It is as good as any a priori theory of how the universe arose. It appears likely the universe did not always exist, so it is fair game for speculation.The catch-22 part is that we can't be sure about the physics because it's purely philosophical. But logically it must be the case - there's no other option.Catch-22: If something is able to 'create' something, it must be present first, right? Either
Chalnoth said:
... An inconsistency is an impossibility. ...

Thanks a lot for the explanation. I think I see the light now...

We already know that the universe is fully consistent, otherwise we wouldn’t be here, right? Or we would be here, but a lot of people would get killed on the 'inconsistent highway' everyday – by Boltzmann Brains popping out of nowhere and smashing into their windshields... :yuck:

So, if we can find a mathematical structure that describes this fully consistent universe, it is okay. And then we would know that the universe is isomorphic to that mathematical structure.

Correct?

Space news on Phys.org
I don't see why the universe has to have been created at all. The perception of time we have is perhaps something we should not pin to the nature of the universe. Slice time out of the mystery, and it might be easier to grasp.

Newai said:
I don't see why the universe has to have been created at all.
Well, our current evidence seems to suggest it was.

Or more to-the-point: our current evidence seems to suggest that, at one time, it wasn't.

DevilsAvocado said:

We already know that the universe is fully consistent, otherwise we wouldn’t be here, right? Or we would be here, but a lot of people would get killed on the 'inconsistent highway' everyday – by Boltzmann Brains popping out of nowhere and smashing into their windshields... :yuck:

So, if we can find a mathematical structure that describes this fully consistent universe, it is okay. And then we would know that the universe is isomorphic to that mathematical structure.

Correct?
Well, just bear in mind that we may never be certain as to which mathematical structure it is (this would basically be a theory of everything).

As of right now, we don't even have a fully-developed mathematical structure that might conceivably be a theory of everything.

DaveC426913 said:

Or more to-the-point: our current evidence seems to suggest that, at one time, it wasn't.
That's not true. All that our current evidence shows is that our region of the universe had a beginning. This may have been a transition from some previous state, or it may have been started from nothing. We just don't know.

Chalnoth said:
That's not true. All that our current evidence shows is that our region of the universe had a beginning. This may have been a transition from some previous state, or it may have been started from nothing. We just don't know.

That changes absolutely nothing about Newai's comment or my response.

DaveC426913 said:
That changes absolutely nothing about Newai's comment or my response.
But what I'm saying is that evidence about the status of our own region says nothing about the status of what lies outside our region, pro or con. So we can't honestly say we have evidence for a beginning of The Universe. Just our observable part.

Chalnoth said:
But what I'm saying is that evidence about the status of our own region says nothing about the status of what lies outside our region, pro or con. So we can't honestly say we have evidence for a beginning of The Universe. Just our observable part.
I got that. It still changes nothing.

Go back to newai's post and insert whichever one suits you.

DaveC426913 said:
I got that. It still changes nothing.

Go back to newai's post and insert whichever one suits you.
So are you saying that our evidence doesn't suggest that the universe was created? Because it doesn't.

Chalnoth said:
Well, just bear in mind that we may never be certain as to which mathematical structure it is (this would basically be a theory of everything).

As of right now, we don't even have a fully-developed mathematical structure that might conceivably be a theory of everything.

Thanks, that’s cool. I’m just happy that Gödel doesn’t mess all things up and that the universe is fully consistent. :rolleyes:

Newai said:
I don't see why the universe has to have been created at all.
If you’re thinking of "Steady State" – forget it. We can rewind the (observable) universe and 'something' definitely happen 13.8 billion years ago – and we can prove it. If it was a Big Bounce, colliding Branes, or a new bubble in the Multiverse, or the beginning of everything from nothing – that we can’t prove, yet.
Newai said:
The perception of time we have is perhaps something we should not pin to the nature of the universe. Slice time out of the mystery, and it might be easier to grasp.
Time is a fundamental part of space-time in our (observable) universe and cannot be sliced out that simple. It’s like trying to explain life and slice out the parents of a newborn...

Chalnoth said:
So are you saying that our evidence doesn't suggest that the universe was created? Because it doesn't.
Our evidence does suggest that our portion of it was created.

DaveC426913 said:
Our evidence does suggest that our portion of it was created.
But that language is highly misleading. Our evidence suggests that our portion of it had a beginning. But "was created" implies intent behind said creation. Simple formation out of a random event is far more likely.

Chalnoth said:
But that language is highly misleading. Our evidence suggests that our portion of it had a beginning. But "was created" implies intent behind said creation. Simple formation out of a random event is far more likely.

Well, you are making that inference; I am not. Nor did I think anyone else was.

If we are talking about intent that is a whole 'nother ball of worms.

DaveC426913 said:
Well, you are making that inference; I am not. Nor did I think anyone else was.

If we are talking about intent that is a whole 'nother ball of worms.
Yes, it is, which is why I prefer to use words which carry no such implication. Because whether you like it or not, "was created," does carry the implication of intent to many readers. So I simply opt to use neutral language, such as "began" or "had a beginning."

Chalnoth said:
Yes, it is, which is why I prefer to use words which carry no such implication. Because whether you like it or not, "was created," does carry the implication of intent to many readers. So I simply opt to use neutral language, such as "began" or "had a beginning."
Context. This has not been a discussion about intent. You are broadening the scope of the discussion. In fact, you are the only one so far who has fallen victim to the apparent ambiguity that you warn against.

DaveC426913 said:
Context. This has not been a discussion about intent. You are broadening the scope of the discussion. In fact, you are the only one so far who has fallen victim to the apparent ambiguity that you warn against.
I think you need to review the discussion again.

Gentlemen DaveC426913 & Chalnoth, couldn’t we settle all by (this layman logic):
DevilsAvocado said:
If you’re thinking of "Steady State" – forget it. We can rewind the (observable) universe and 'something' definitely happen 13.8 billion years ago – and we can prove it. If it was a Big Bounce, colliding Branes, or a new bubble in the Multiverse, or the beginning of everything from nothing – that we can’t prove, yet.

Chalnoth said:
I think you need to review the discussion again.

OK, granted. In the larger discussion, there is talk about Creation.

However, the three of us (including you an newai) had been discussing creation as an effect of time, starting in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2554971#post2554971", which really had nothing at all to do with intent, nor had either of us used the "creation" word until you introduced it.

Last edited by a moderator:
DevilsAvocado said:
If the universe = mathematical structure, then how can we ever use mathematics to prove it fully consistent?

This is impossible
To prove that any mathematical theory is self-consistent, you always need to use more powerful/more complicated theory.
So the whole mathematics is based on the pure belief.

The self-consistency of Peano arithmetics is proven in ZF set theory. And I believe there are no proofs that ZF (or other set theory, there are many different :) ) are self-consistent.

Dmitry67 said:
This is impossible
To prove that any mathematical theory is self-consistent, you always need to use more powerful/more complicated theory.
So the whole mathematics is based on the pure belief.
Thanks Dmitry67, I realize this now and that we already know that the universe is fully consistent, otherwise lot of weird stuff would happen to us... and the math describing this must therefore be fully consistent.
DevilsAvocado said:
Chalnoth said:
... An inconsistency is an impossibility. ...

Chalnoth said:
No, it really doesn't. The problem is that there's a tension between different definitions of the word, and neither class of definition comes close to solving the problem. The more specific your definition gets, the more complex your God gets, and thus the less it becomes an explanation. The less specific your definition gets, the more meaningless the term God even becomes, and thus it fails as an explanation in the other direction.

Because of this vague slipperiness of the very definition of the word "god", it is an impossibility to ever bring up any evidence for or against, and for that reason the hypothesis simply fails as being too poorly-defined.

Well, we shouldn't be too dismissive of Chronos' view or the "God Hypothesis" since "God" is more of a metaphysical assertion rather than a scientific theory, others who have a naturalistic world view would think God and most metaphysical statements are meaningless, yet as Karl Popper said, they are not meaningless but rather not falsifiable, hence metaphysical statements implies something about the universe that are not empirically testable, but remain epistemically plausible.

Last edited:
celebrei said:
... as Karl Popper said, they are not meaningless but rather not falsifiable, hence metaphysical statements implies something about the universe that are not empirically testable, but remain epistemically plausible.

I don’t agree, because scientifically this statement:
"I favor the God hypothesis. It provides a reasonable, albeit incomplete, explanation."
Has the exactly the same significance as this statement:
"I favor the Santa Claus hypothesis. It provides a reasonable, albeit incomplete, explanation."
For those who believe in Santa Claus, even if not empirically testable, Santa remains epistemically plausible.
For science, and those who don’t believe in Santa Claus, this means absolutely nothing.

Newai said:
I don't see why the universe has to have been created at all...

DaveC426913 said:

I believe that statement is out of line with current expert opinion. There is no scientific reason to believe that the universe did not exist before, say, 13.7 billion years ago, according to the relevant research community.

For example, according to Einstein-Online, a Max Planck Institute public outreach site, most scientists would be surprised if it actually turned out that there was a singularity at the start of expansion. By a singularity I mean a point where time stops as you work back, where there is no "before". The expectation is that time and existence go back before the start of expansion. If you want a non-technical pubic outreach discussion as of 2006, try the E-O essay called "A tale of two big bangs". It is the top google hit if you say "tale of two big bangs". Or use this link:
http://www.aei.mpg.de/einsteinOnline/en/spotlights/big_bangs/index.html [Broken]

If you want a technical sample of what the research community is actually studying these days ( non-singular models of conditions leading up to the start of expansion) just do a spires search with keyword "quantum cosmology" for papers from 2006 and later.
You can use this link:
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/spires/find/hep/www?rawcmd=dk+quantum+cosmology+and+date%3E2005&FORMAT=WWW&SEQUENCE=citecount%28d%29 [Broken]
or just go to Spires and ask for keyword "quantum cosmology" and date > 2005.

You will see 374 papers, after 2005, studying several different non-singular models of what can have led up to the start of expansion, pursuing several ideas. Some papers proposing ways to test nonsingular models by astrophysical observation--primarily features of the microwave background.

Roger Penrose pointed out in 2005 that there had been a change in conventional scientific opinion, among the relevant expert community. According to a talk he gave at Cambridge, before 2005 it was generally considered meaningless to talk about before-BB (like "what is north of the north pole?") but according to him 2005 was a watershed year when the prevailing scientific opinion changed. Of course some had been working on nonsingular models already for quite some time, but he picked out 2005 as the year that dominant opinion shifted. For what it's worth---just one person's take on a change of fashion in scientific thought.

I set up the Spires search to list in order of citation-count so you get the most cited papers first. All or virtually all of the first hundred or so treat non-singular models----where time and existence go back before the start of expansion.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread's really slipped under the radar: theological or philosophical discussions are not permitted in the cosmology forum. Thus, this thread is closed.

<h2>1. How can the universe cause itself?</h2><p>The idea that the universe caused itself is based on the concept of self-creation or self-causation, where the universe is seen as a self-sustaining system that does not require an external cause. This theory is still being debated and explored by scientists and philosophers.</p><h2>2. What evidence supports the theory of the universe causing itself?</h2><p>Currently, there is no concrete evidence that supports the theory of the universe causing itself. However, some scientists point to the concept of quantum fluctuations and the possibility of a multiverse as potential explanations for the origin of the universe.</p><h2>3. How does the concept of causality apply to the universe causing itself?</h2><p>The concept of causality, which states that every event has a cause, is still a fundamental principle in science. However, some theories suggest that the laws of physics that govern our universe may not apply to its origin. Therefore, the concept of causality may not necessarily apply to the universe causing itself.</p><h2>4. Can the theory of the universe causing itself be proven?</h2><p>As of now, the theory of the universe causing itself remains a hypothesis and has not been proven. It is a complex and abstract concept that is difficult to test and verify through scientific methods. Further research and evidence are needed to support or refute this theory.</p><h2>5. What are the implications of the universe causing itself?</h2><p>If the theory of the universe causing itself is proven to be true, it would challenge our understanding of the laws of physics and the concept of causality. It could also lead to a better understanding of the origin and nature of the universe, as well as our place in it.</p>

1. How can the universe cause itself?

The idea that the universe caused itself is based on the concept of self-creation or self-causation, where the universe is seen as a self-sustaining system that does not require an external cause. This theory is still being debated and explored by scientists and philosophers.

2. What evidence supports the theory of the universe causing itself?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence that supports the theory of the universe causing itself. However, some scientists point to the concept of quantum fluctuations and the possibility of a multiverse as potential explanations for the origin of the universe.

3. How does the concept of causality apply to the universe causing itself?

The concept of causality, which states that every event has a cause, is still a fundamental principle in science. However, some theories suggest that the laws of physics that govern our universe may not apply to its origin. Therefore, the concept of causality may not necessarily apply to the universe causing itself.

4. Can the theory of the universe causing itself be proven?

As of now, the theory of the universe causing itself remains a hypothesis and has not been proven. It is a complex and abstract concept that is difficult to test and verify through scientific methods. Further research and evidence are needed to support or refute this theory.

5. What are the implications of the universe causing itself?

If the theory of the universe causing itself is proven to be true, it would challenge our understanding of the laws of physics and the concept of causality. It could also lead to a better understanding of the origin and nature of the universe, as well as our place in it.