Please help to find mu, frictional force and normal force

In summary, a body of 5 kg mass begins to move down a tilted board at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal. The coefficient of friction and magnitude of the normal and frictional forces when the body begins to slip can be calculated using the components of force in the x and y directions and the formula mu = Ff/Fn. By breaking the force down into components and using trigonometry, the coefficient of friction can be determined.
jaybabbar
a body of 5 kg mass is resting on a board which is gradually tilted until, at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal, the body begins to move down the plane. find coefficient of friction and magnitude of the normal and frictional forces when the body begins to slip.

i managed to workout Force due to weight i.e. (Fw)x = 24.52N and (Fw)y = 42.47N also the Fn(Normal force) = 42.47 but i can't workout mu(coefficient of friction) as i don't have Ff(friction force) from the formula mu = Ff/Fn
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi jaybabbar! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
jaybabbar said:
… (Fw)x = 24.52N and (Fw)y = 42.47N also the Fn(Normal force) = 42.47 but i can't workout mu(coefficient of friction) as i don't have Ff(friction force) from the formula mu = Ff/Fn

ah, but you know that the components of force in the x direction must add to zero …

so you know that Ff = (Fw)x :wink:

The body moves at 30 degrees so you need to use trig to break it into components at that angle. The force going down the ramp must equal the frictional force at the point friction breaks. The force going into the ramp is equal to normal and using both you can find coefficient of friction.

1. What is the formula for calculating mu?

The formula for calculating mu, also known as the coefficient of friction, is mu = frictional force / normal force. This is a ratio that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces.

2. How do you find the frictional force?

The frictional force can be found by multiplying the coefficient of friction (mu) by the normal force. The normal force is the force exerted by one surface on another in a direction perpendicular to the surface.

3. What is the normal force?

The normal force is the force exerted by one surface on another in a direction perpendicular to the surface. It is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the force exerted by an object on a surface due to its weight.

4. How do I find mu if I only know the frictional force and normal force?

If you know the frictional force and normal force, you can use the formula mu = frictional force / normal force to find the coefficient of friction. This will give you a ratio that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces.

5. Can the coefficient of friction (mu) be negative?

No, the coefficient of friction cannot be negative. It is a ratio and therefore must be positive. A negative value for mu would not make physical sense and would violate the fundamental laws of physics.