Nagging Math Ques #1: 'Pseudo-Inner Product'

• Thread starter PoomjaiN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, the author wishes to find the dimension of a system that consists of two vectors, x and y , where x^y represents the dimension of the system. He refers to this as a "pseudo-inner product" and wonders if it has already been defined. He also asks for advice on what kind of mathematical object it is and if there is an algebra that can be defined on the basis of its mapping.
PoomjaiN
Dear Friends & Colleagues,

I have a couple of nagging issues with mathematics I was hoping anyone of you would kindly be able to help resolve.

Given two vectors, x, y , I wish to define an operation ‘^’ such that x^y = x_1^y_1 + x_2^y_2 + ... .

For instance, if x_i designates the number of parameters of a model component of class i, and y_i designates the total number of model components of this class required, then x^y gives me the (Cartesian-product) dimension of my parametric search space. I referred to this ‘up-arrow’ operation as a sort of ‘pseudo-inner product’ in my Ph.D. thesis, which involved evolutionary optimisation over a combinatorial-parametric search space involving choices of model components and their resultant parametric specifications.

I wish to know (i) whether such a ‘pseudo-inner product’ had already been defined (if so, what is it called?), (ii) what kind of mathematical object would it be, and whether some kind of algebra can be defined on basis of its mapping? The construct may well extend to even though vis-à-vis my application I obviously had non-negative integers in mind.

Any enlightenment on this issue would be most truly appreciated.

Yours sincerely,
Poomjai Nacaskul (Ph.D.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't seen it defined before. I think the term "pseudo-inner product" is sometimes used for functions that are just like inner products except that they don't satisfy [itex]<x,x>=0\Rightarrow x=0[/itex]. I know for sure that Conway uses the term "semi-inner product" for these things.

The function you defined isn't linear (or antilinear) in either of the variables, so it's a lot more different from an inner product than the semi-inner products I just described.

So it should probably be called something else. The term "form" is sometimes used for a function that takes two vectors to a scalar.

Dear Fedrik,
Many, many thanks for your insight. I think "form" is exactly the term I am looking for. Indeed, it is a map from Vf x V2 --> F, and if I don't need the generalisation for V1 != V2, then V x V --> F is a map from two vector spaces over field F to F. In that sense, I should call it something like "INNER-EXPONENTIATION FORM", what do you think?

I would be rather surprised if it hadn't been defined, as it seems an obvious object to define (in the research area I was involved in at the time). Kind of ambivalent feeling about this tho: happy because then I'd be the first to do so, sad because there wouldn't be proved results and derived properties to draw from.

Once again, thank you kindly for your response,
Poomjai

PoomjaiN said:
Dear Friends & Colleagues,

I have a couple of nagging issues with mathematics I was hoping anyone of you would kindly be able to help resolve.

Given two vectors, x, y , I wish to define an operation ‘^’ such that x^y = x_1^y_1 + x_2^y_2 + ... .

For instance, if x_i designates the number of parameters of a model component of class i, and y_i designates the total number of model components of this class required, then x^y gives me the (Cartesian-product) dimension of my parametric search space. I referred to this ‘up-arrow’ operation as a sort of ‘pseudo-inner product’ in my Ph.D. thesis, which involved evolutionary optimisation over a combinatorial-parametric search space involving choices of model components and their resultant parametric specifications.

I wish to know (i) whether such a ‘pseudo-inner product’ had already been defined (if so, what is it called?), (ii) what kind of mathematical object would it be, and whether some kind of algebra can be defined on basis of its mapping? The construct may well extend to even though vis-à-vis my application I obviously had non-negative integers in mind.

Any enlightenment on this issue would be most truly appreciated.

Yours sincerely,
Poomjai Nacaskul (Ph.D.)

From linear algebra, you can use reduction of a linear system to figure out the dimension of a system (ie the minimum number of parameters needed to describe such a system).

I'm not sure what you're other systems are comprised of, but if they are linear in some form, what springs out to me is to use the tensor product of matrices to generate a linear system which you can use to find the dimension of your new "combined" system.

If your component systems are not linear, then you might have to perform some transformation to make them linear and then apply the same ideas to get the total dimension of your new system.

So in short, get a linear representation of component (and if it is not linear, transform it so that you can find the dimension of your system and represent it accordingly), use tensor product and then with your composite system, use that to get your final "dimension" of your composite system.

this dude is called Pseudo Inner Product and is of fundamental importance in Eisteins Special Theory of relativity. when inner product of first vector with itself using the pseido inner definition is less than zero, those vectors are called timelike vectors. when greater than zero, its spacelike vectors

PoomjaiN said:

Are the xi coordinates or are they component vectors? If the xi are coordinates, you need two definitions. One definition for the "^" of two vectors x,y and another definition for the "^" of the pair of coordinates xi,yi.

If the xi and yi are component vectors, your definition is ambiguous since if we have vectors
x = A + B = B + A, it isn't clear which of A and B is x1.

If the xi and yi are coordinates, then you should clarify whether the operation "x^y" on vectors is invariant when the vectors are expressed in a new coordinate system.

1. What is a Pseudo-Inner Product?

A Pseudo-Inner Product is a mathematical concept that is similar to an inner product, but does not satisfy all of the properties of an inner product. It is used to define a notion of length and angle in a vector space.

2. How is a Pseudo-Inner Product different from an Inner Product?

A Pseudo-Inner Product does not satisfy all of the properties of an inner product. Specifically, it may not satisfy the positive-definite property, which states that the inner product of a vector with itself is always positive. In addition, the Pseudo-Inner Product may not be symmetric or bilinear, as an inner product must be.

3. What is the importance of the Pseudo-Inner Product?

The Pseudo-Inner Product is important for defining a notion of length and angle in vector spaces that do not have a traditional inner product. It allows for the development of geometric concepts and calculations in these spaces.

4. What are some examples of vector spaces where Pseudo-Inner Products are used?

Some examples of vector spaces where Pseudo-Inner Products are used include function spaces, such as the space of continuous functions, and discrete spaces, such as graphs or networks.

5. How is a Pseudo-Inner Product calculated?

A Pseudo-Inner Product is calculated using a specific formula or definition that is specific to the vector space in question. In general, it involves taking the dot product of two vectors and possibly incorporating other operations or functions. The exact calculation will depend on the specific properties of the Pseudo-Inner Product being used.