Acceleration due to gravity question

In summary: Yes, the (gravitational) acceleration is still the same (but the object would see it as a deceleration)
catfish
Hi guys

To me I sound stupid, but I'm probably just overthinking the question. I know acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s/s.
But if the distance is less than a metre or takes less than a second, wouldn't the acceleration be less than 9.8? If so, how is that worked out?
If not, then is it correct to say that if something falls for a distance of 0.7m and comes to a stop, the acceleration is still 9.8m/s/s?

Physics news on Phys.org
catfish said:
But if the distance is less than a metre or takes less than a second, wouldn't the acceleration be less than 9.8?
No

catfish said:
If not, then is it correct to say that if something falls for a distance of 0.7m and comes to a stop, the acceleration is still 9.8m/s/s?
Yes

Ok thanks. Next question. If the object bounces back up, is the acceleration still the same? And how do I go about working out the time it takes after impact to bounce to a height? The only details I've got is what I used to calculate velocity and momentum at impact.

Acceleration is not defined in terms of distance and time. It is defined in terms of velocity and time. To determine average acceleration, you take initial velocity and final velocity, and divide it by time.

You can relate acceleration and distance, too, but then you need more details. For example, if you can assume that your acceleration is constant, as in the case of acceleration due to gravity close to the Earth, then you can use the SUVAT equations.

catfish said:
If the object bounces back up, is the acceleration still the same?
Yes, the (gravitational) acceleration is still the same (but the object would see it as a deceleration)

catfish said:
And how do I go about working out the time it takes after impact to bounce to a height? The only details I've got is what I used to calculate velocity and momentum at impact.
By setting up the energy balance of the system consisting of kinetic and potential energy, assuming a fully elastic bounce and no friction.
[tex]E = \frac{1}{2} m v^2+m g h[/tex]
And using the height at impact (h=0) to calculate the kinetic energy of the system.
At height = h you can calculate the velocity and using [itex]v_h = v_0 - gt[/itex] you can calculate the time.

catfish said:
Hi guys

To me I sound stupid, but I'm probably just overthinking the question. I know acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s/s.
But if the distance is less than a metre or takes less than a second, wouldn't the acceleration be less than 9.8? If so, how is that worked out?

The acceleration due to gravity is about 9.8 m/s/s at all times and everywhere within a shell of space surrounding the sphere defined as "sea level" on Earth. Below that sphere it declines to zero (linearly? - not sure) down to the center of the Earth; above that it also declines, but exponentially, reaching zero at infinite distance.

puncheex said:
The acceleration due to gravity is about 9.8 m/s/s at all times and everywhere within a shell of space surrounding the sphere defined as "sea level" on Earth. Below that sphere it declines to zero (linearly? - not sure)
Yes, linearly.

down to the center of the Earth; above that it also declines, but exponentially, reaching zero at infinite distance.
Not 'exponentially', proportional to the inverse square of distance.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, linearly.

In an ideal model where the density of the Earth is uniform, the decline would be linear. In fact, the density of the Earth is not uniform. Wikipedia has a nice graph about 2/5 of the way down the following page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_of_Earth

Check. Thanks for the additional information, both of you.

Ohhhh I think I know why I was confused. I was thinking about changes in velocity. So the velocity will change even though acceleration is still the same, right?

1. What is acceleration due to gravity?

Acceleration due to gravity is the acceleration experienced by a body due to the gravitational force of a massive object, such as the Earth. It is typically denoted as g and has a constant value of 9.8 m/s² near the Earth's surface.

2. How is acceleration due to gravity calculated?

The acceleration due to gravity can be calculated using the formula g = G * M / r², where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object producing the gravitational force, and r is the distance between the two objects.

3. Why is acceleration due to gravity constant?

The acceleration due to gravity is constant because the gravitational force of a massive object is directly proportional to its mass and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two objects. This results in a constant acceleration near the Earth's surface.

4. Does acceleration due to gravity vary on different planets?

Yes, acceleration due to gravity varies on different planets depending on their mass and radius. For example, on Mars, the acceleration due to gravity is approximately 3.7 m/s², while on Jupiter, it is 24.8 m/s².

5. How does air resistance affect acceleration due to gravity?

Air resistance can affect acceleration due to gravity by slowing down the fall of an object. This is because air resistance creates an upward force on the object, counteracting the force of gravity and reducing the acceleration. In a vacuum, where there is no air resistance, objects will fall with the same acceleration due to gravity regardless of their mass.