Band Dispersion and Career Mobility

In summary, the dispersion relation, also known as the E-k relation, has a significant impact on carrier mobility in metals or semi-metals. The mobility can be calculated by considering the effective mass and the band dispersion. However, for massless charge carriers, such as in graphene, the relationship is more complex and can be derived from the velocity of a wavepacket. To estimate the electron mobility, one would need to consider the scattering mechanism, which can be quantified through calculations of the phonon spectrum and electron-phonon coupling constants. However, this can be time-consuming and there are currently no convenient software or programs available for nanotubes.
arvind
how the dispersion relation(i.e. E-k relation) affects carrier mobility in metals or semi-metals?

Physics news on Phys.org
arvind said:
how the dispersion relation(i.e. E-k relation) affects carrier mobility in metals or semi-metals?

I'm not sure if you have done any search on your own. You would have discovered the answer yourself.

For example, the electron mobility can be written, in the simplest form, as

[tex]\mu = e\tau/m^*[/tex]

where μ is the mobility, τ is the scattering time, e is the charge, and m* is the effective mass. Now, look up the relationship between the effective mass and the band dispersion, and you have your answer.

Zz.

what if the charge carriers are massless as in case of graphene which is a single atom thick sheet?

arvind said:
what if the charge carriers are massless as in case of graphene which is a single atom thick sheet?

In general, the velocity of a wavepacket describing the motion of a particle is given as ##\partial E/\partial k##. You can now figure out what happens for a quadratic and a linear dispersion relation.
The book by Ashcroft and Mermin discusses all this in detail.

ZapperZ said:
I'm not sure if you have done any search on your own. You would have discovered the answer yourself.

For example, the electron mobility can be written, in the simplest form, as

[tex]\mu = e\tau/m^*[/tex]

where μ is the mobility, τ is the scattering time, e is the charge, and m* is the effective mass. Now, look up the relationship between the effective mass and the band dispersion, and you have your answer.

Zz.

Is there a simple and convenient way to estimate the electron mobility ?
I can derive the [itex]m^*[/itex] from band structure data ( through curve-fitting and then take a derivative with respect to k-point),but I know little information for the scattering time ;how to estimate [itex]\tau[/itex] for the systems (for example, BN sheet,or phosphorus) ?
There is also another formula ,i.e.,
[tex]\upsilon_{d}=μE[/tex]
it seems not cowork with those data using first princple softwares.

Douasing said:
Is there a simple and convenient way to estimate the electron mobility ?

Not really, it depends on the scattering mechanism, e.g. impurity scattering or scattering from phonons. The latter should be most relevant in very pure samples. To quantify it ab initio, you would have to calculate the phonon spectrum and electron phonon coupling constants.

DrDu said:
Not really, it depends on the scattering mechanism, e.g. impurity scattering or scattering from phonons. The latter should be most relevant in very pure samples. To quantify it ab initio, you would have to calculate the phonon spectrum and electron phonon coupling constants.
Thank you for your suggestions.
But I find some vitual frequency when use phononpy and vasp to calculate the phonon of black phosphorus nanotubes (about 32 atoms for armchair PNT with n=8,see the figure below).On the other hand,it is very time consuming when use Elk-code (about 5 days for 4 atoms,which use DFPT method).
Are there any convienient phonon softwares or programs for nanotubes ?

upload_2014-9-22_14-24-26.png

1. What is band dispersion and why is it important?

Band dispersion refers to the range or spread of salaries or pay within a particular job band or level. It is important because it helps organizations maintain internal equity and promote fair compensation practices.

2. How does band dispersion affect career mobility?

Band dispersion can affect career mobility by limiting opportunities for advancement within an organization. If there is a large gap in pay between different bands, it may be difficult for employees to move up the career ladder.

3. What factors contribute to band dispersion?

There are several factors that can contribute to band dispersion, including market demand for certain skills or roles, individual performance and experience, and organizational policies and practices.

4. Can band dispersion be managed or controlled?

Yes, band dispersion can be managed or controlled through various HR strategies such as job evaluations, market analysis, and pay structure adjustments. However, it is important for organizations to regularly review and reassess their methods to ensure fair and competitive compensation.

5. How can organizations promote career mobility despite band dispersion?

Organizations can promote career mobility by providing opportunities for skill development and training, implementing transparent promotion and succession planning processes, and offering competitive compensation packages beyond base salary, such as bonuses, benefits, and other incentives.