A Course in Modern Mathematical Physics [Peter Szekeres]

In summary, the conversation is about a book called "A Course in Modern Mathematical Physics" by Peter Szekeres, who is the son of George Szekeres. The book is highly recommended and covers a lot of interesting mathematical topics. The participants are self-studying the book and are looking for a solutions manual and a list of errata for the book.
nitin
Hi all

I'm currently self-studying a relatively new book, "A Course in Modern Mathematical Physics", by Peter Szekeres, retired fellow at Uni of Adelaide (yes, he's the son of George Szekeres, of "Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates" fame :wink: ). I find it so far to be a totally great book! I haven't read many introductory math-phys books (I'm a fan of Schutz's "Geometrical Methods of Mathematical Physics" and Prakash's "Mathematical Perpectives on Theoretical Physics"), but this one is fantastic and covers a lot of interesting maths. I was wondering if anybody happens to have the solutions to the exercises found within. I've been stuck on a couple of the problems, and I would like to check them out with someone.

Nitin

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm also using this book for self study. I agree that it's an excellent exposition on math physics. A solutions manual would be great.

Does anybody have a list of errata for this book?
Thanks,
Goldbeetle

I suppose you could all compare results! If only the replies weren't two years apart.

Actually, I was just interested in the list of the book errata...

1. What is the level of mathematical background required for "A Course in Modern Mathematical Physics"?

The book assumes a solid foundation in undergraduate level mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and basic differential equations. Some familiarity with abstract algebra and complex analysis would also be beneficial.

2. Is this book suitable for self-study or is it better used as a textbook for a course?

This book can be used effectively for both self-study and as a textbook for a course. It is well-organized and includes exercises and solutions, making it a valuable resource for independent study.

3. How does "A Course in Modern Mathematical Physics" differ from other textbooks on the subject?

This book provides a comprehensive and rigorous treatment of modern mathematical physics, including topics such as differential geometry, Lie groups, and representation theory. It also includes numerous examples and applications to help students develop a deeper understanding of the material.

4. Can this book be used as a reference for researchers in the field of mathematical physics?

Yes, this book can serve as a useful reference for researchers in the field of mathematical physics. It covers a wide range of topics and provides a thorough treatment of each subject, making it a valuable resource for those conducting research in this area.

5. Are there any prerequisites for understanding the material in "A Course in Modern Mathematical Physics"?

As mentioned before, a strong background in undergraduate level mathematics is necessary to fully understand the material in this book. Additionally, some familiarity with physics concepts, such as classical mechanics and electromagnetism, would be helpful but not required.