Calorie Tracking with Spreadsheets: Automating Recipe Calories

In summary, you want to use the VLOOKUP function to lookup a value in one column and then use that value in another column.
FrogPad
Lets say I have the following spreadsheet.

Code:
     A              B            C            D            E
1   Ingredient  Calories    Protein     Recipe     Calories
2   Banana      100         1             =A2        ?

Now what I want to do is let's say I click on cell D2 and type "=A2" (without quotes of course). What happens is that D2 would then equal "Banana". How could I automatically make E2 fill in the appropriate amount of calories for banana?

I hope the way I worded this question makes sense.

Computer science news on Phys.org
hmmmmm... "=B2" but why would you want to have the same value twice??

You probably want to use the VLOOKUP function. This function searches for a match (exact or range compare) in one column, then returns a value correspoding to the same row in another column.

Anttech said:
hmmmmm... "=B2" but why would you want to have the same value twice??

I want it to be automated.

I want a "database" of different grocery items with some stats attached to them. For example,

Code:
Item       Calories   Protein   Carbohydrates   Fat
Soy Milk   100        6          9                     3
Banana    110        1          32                    0
Chicken    120        24        0                     0

Then I want another "database" of recipes. Each recipe will consist of items taken from the grocery list. So, for example if I wanted to create a recipe item such as a banana shake I would just click under recipe, and then in the items list I would add the items by typing =XX where XX is the cell that I clicked on with the recipe name.

Code:
Recipe                  Calories    Protein   Carbohydrates  Fat
Banana Shake

Soy Milk                100        6          9                     3
Soy Milk                100        6          9                     3
Banana                 110        1          32                    0

Total                    310        13        50                    6

I'm doing it this way because I don't have the time to put together a "real" program to do this. Hopefully this will suite my needs. It's going to be dirty, but oh well :)

Jeff Reid said:
You probably want to use the VLOOKUP function. This function searches for a match (exact or range compare) in one column, then returns a value correspoding to the same row in another column.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

That's exactly what I wanted. Mercy.

1. What is "Calorie Tracking with Spreadsheets"?

"Calorie Tracking with Spreadsheets" is a method of keeping track of the calorie content in recipes by inputting ingredients and their corresponding calorie values into a spreadsheet. This allows for easy and accurate tracking of calories in meals and can be automated for efficiency.

2. How does "Calorie Tracking with Spreadsheets" work?

The first step is to create a spreadsheet with columns for ingredients, quantities, and calorie values. Then, input the ingredients and their corresponding calorie values for each recipe. The spreadsheet will automatically calculate the total calories for the recipe based on the quantities entered. This process can be repeated for multiple recipes, making it easy to track calorie intake over time.

3. What are the benefits of "Calorie Tracking with Spreadsheets"?

One of the main benefits is the ability to accurately track calorie intake, which is important for weight loss or maintenance goals. It also allows for customization and flexibility in meal planning, as users can input their own recipes and adjust ingredient quantities as needed.

4. Can "Calorie Tracking with Spreadsheets" be used for all types of recipes?

Yes, "Calorie Tracking with Spreadsheets" can be used for all types of recipes, including homemade meals, restaurant dishes, and pre-packaged foods. As long as the ingredient and quantity are known, the calorie value can be inputted into the spreadsheet for accurate tracking.

5. Are there any downsides to using "Calorie Tracking with Spreadsheets"?

One potential downside is the initial time investment needed to set up the spreadsheet and input the ingredients and their corresponding calorie values. However, this can be automated and once the spreadsheet is set up, it can be easily used for future recipes. Additionally, it may not be suitable for those with a history of disordered eating or unhealthy relationships with food, as it can promote obsessive calorie counting. It is important to use this method in a balanced and healthy way.