Understanding Non-Holonomic Constraints for Particle Motion

• Thread starter Reshma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constraint
In summary: I don't know what you are required to do to prove the constraint is non-holonomic, but I read a bit and reminded myself that holonomic constraints reduce the number of degrees of freedom of a system. This velocity constraint clearly does not do that.
Reshma
A particle moves in the x-y plane under the constraint that its velocity is always directed towards a point on the x-axis whose absicissa is some given function of time f(t). Show that for f(t) differentiable, but otherwise arbitrary, the constraint is non-holonomic.

All I could infer from the above question is:
x = Cf(t)
C is a constant.
If the velocity is directed towards a point on the x-axis, is the same point?

Could someone guide me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Reshma said:
A particle moves in the x-y plane under the constraint that its velocity is always directed towards a point on the x-axis whose absicissa is some given function of time f(t). Show that for f(t) differentiable, but otherwise arbitrary, the constraint is non-holonomic.

All I could infer from the above question is:
x = Cf(t)
C is a constant.
If the velocity is directed towards a point on the x-axis, is the same point?

Could someone guide me in the right direction?
I interpret the problem to mean that x = f(t). I see no need for the constant, since the only requirement is that f(x) be differentiable. And yes, no matter where the particle might be at some time, its velocity is always pointing toward that point x = f(t).

I have quite forgotten what makes a constraint holonomic, but I can imagine a bead sliding on a straight wire with one end attached at x=f(t) but free to rotate. The bead would be constrained to be moving only toward or away from the point x at any instant.

OlderDan said:
I interpret the problem to mean that x = f(t). I see no need for the constant, since the only requirement is that f(x) be differentiable. And yes, no matter where the particle might be at some time, its velocity is always pointing toward that point x = f(t).

I have quite forgotten what makes a constraint holonomic, but I can imagine a bead sliding on a straight wire with one end attached at x=f(t) but free to rotate. The bead would be constrained to be moving only toward or away from the point x at any instant.
I'm strictly going by my textbook definition:
Holonomic constraints will have integrable terms, non-holonomic constraints will have non-integrable terms. So I think here I have to formulate a constraint equation which can be shown to be non-integrable and prove that the constraint is non-holonomic. Am I going right?

Last edited:
OlderDan said:
Yes, this is a classic example of holonomic constraint. The constraint can be expressed in terms of its independent coordinates in the form:
f (r1, r2,...,t) = 0
But that can be done for a non-holonomic one.

Reshma said:
Yes, this is a classic example of holonomic constraint. The constraint can be expressed in terms of its independent coordinates in the form:
f (r1, r2,...,t) = 0
But that can be done for a non-holonomic one.
I don't know what you are required to do to prove the constraint is non-holonomic, but I read a bit and reminded myself that holonomic constraints reduce the number of degrees of freedom of a system. This velocity constraint clearly does not do that. As a general rule, velocity constraints do not constrain the coordinates, so they are non-holonomic.

What are the other non-holonomic constraints? Correct me if I'm wrong but there's the leonomic and scleronomic right? What's the difference between the two?

What is a constraint?

A constraint is a limitation or restriction on a system or process. It can be a physical, mathematical, or logical limitation that must be taken into consideration when designing or analyzing a system.

Why is it important to define constraints?

Defining constraints is important because it helps to ensure that a system or process functions properly and efficiently. Constraints can also influence the design and functionality of a system, so it is crucial to identify and understand them in order to make informed decisions.

What types of constraints are there?

There are several types of constraints, including physical, technical, economic, and legal constraints. Physical constraints refer to limitations imposed by the laws of physics, while technical constraints may include software or hardware limitations. Economic constraints refer to financial limitations, and legal constraints involve regulations or laws that must be followed.

How do you identify constraints?

To identify constraints, it is important to thoroughly analyze and understand the system or process. This may involve conducting experiments, gathering data, or consulting with experts. Brainstorming and considering potential limitations can also help in identifying constraints.

What are some common methods for dealing with constraints?

There are several methods for dealing with constraints, including prioritizing, optimizing, and compromising. Prioritizing involves identifying the most critical constraints and addressing them first. Optimizing involves finding solutions that work within the constraints. Compromising involves making trade-offs to accommodate the constraints.