Trig. identities method problem

In summary, according to the question, the two equations are Tbc*cosB - Tab*cosA=0 and Tab*sinA+Tbc*sinB=15. To solve for the tensions in the wires, use Tbc=Tab*cosA/cosB and solve for the tensions.
DAZZLED
Question
I've been struggling with the followings equations (I know that can be solved by Trig. identities method) and I tried almost everything but I can't get them right.
the equations are the following:
-Tab*cos(alpha)+Tbc*cos(beta) = 0 (eq.1)
Tab*sin(alpha)+Tbc*sin(beta)=15
We know the angular values for alpha and beta, and also I reviewed the answers on my workbook and they are; Tab=9.67 and Tbc=12.334, I would like if someone can show me how to solve those identities step by a step.
Thanks in advance
Those equations are part of a problem in mechanics of materials, in which two wires are supporting a weigth (15) both in different known angles (that's why the equations of equilibrium yield those two precedent equations) but I can't get the correct results for each tension in the wires, I know they are trig. identities and something I am doing is not coming well enough in the algebraic procedure.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
According to the question
for my convenience let alpha=A and beta=B
there are two equations
Tbc*cosB - Tab*cosA = 0 ------i
Tab*sinA+Tbc*sinB=15-------ii
From i
Tbc*cosB = Tab*cosA
=> Tbc=Tab*cosA/cosB dividing by cosB both sides
Placing this value in ii
=> Tab*sinA + (Tab*cosA/cosB)*sinB = 15
=> Tab*(sinA + cosAsinB/cosB) = 15
=> Tab*(sinAcosB + cosAsinB)/cosB = 15
=> Tab*sin(A + B) / cosB = 15 As sin(A+B)=(sinA*cosB)+(cosA*sinB)
=> Tab = 15*cosB/sin(A + B)
Placing this value in
Tbc = Tab * cosA / cosB
now u can calculate the values

Naumaan gave a perfectly good answer but I would do it a slightly different way.
Multiply the first equation by [itex]T_{ab}cos(\alpha)+T_{bc}cos(\beta)[/itex] to get [itex]T_{bc} cos^2(\alpha)-T_{ab}cos^2(\beta)= 0[/itex].
Multiply the second equation by [itex]T_{ab} sin(\alpha)- T_{bc}sin(\beta)[/itex] to get [itex]T_{ab}^2 sin^2(\alpha)- T_{bc}^2 sin^2(\beta)= 15T_{ab}sin(\alpha)- 15T_{bc}sin(\beta[/itex] and add the two equations. since [itex]sin^2(x)+ cos^2(x)= 1[/itex], that gives [itex]T_{ab}^2 - T_{bc}^2= 15T_{ab}sin(\alpha)- 15T_{bc}sin(\beta[/itex] which involves only sines of [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex].

Use [itex]T_{ab}sin(\alpha)+ T_{bc}sin(\beta)= 15[/itex] to replace either [itex]sin(\alpha)[/itex] or [itex]sin(\beta)[/itex] by the other and solve the resulting equation.

1. What is the Trig. identities method problem?

The Trig. identities method problem involves using trigonometric identities to simplify and solve trigonometric equations or expressions. These identities are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, and are used to manipulate and simplify these functions.

2. How do I know which identity to use?

Knowing which identity to use can be challenging, but it is essential to understand the fundamental identities and their properties. It would be best to practice and familiarize yourself with the different identities, such as the Pythagorean identity, double-angle identity, and half-angle identity, to determine which one to use in a given problem.

3. Can I use more than one identity in a problem?

Yes, you can use multiple identities in a problem to simplify the expression further. It is common to use one identity to transform the expression into a more manageable form and then use another identity to simplify it further.

4. How do I check if my solution is correct?

You can check your solution by substituting your values back into the original equation or expression and verifying if they satisfy the equation's equality. Another way to check is by using a calculator to graph both the original and simplified expressions and see if they produce the same graph.

5. Are there any tips for solving Trig. identities problems?

One tip for solving Trig. identities problems is to always start with the more complex side of the equation and simplify it using identities until you reach the simpler side. Also, practice and familiarize yourself with the common identities and their properties to make the process more manageable.