Plotting y=\frac{(a_0+a_1)\beta}{\beta^2-a_0a_1} in Mathematica

In summary, the person is having trouble using Mathematica to plot a function with certain assumptions and ignores singularities. They are also asking for help in specifying a range for the y values. They mention that Mathematica does not accept certain constants and suggest using the help browser for the plot command. They express dislike for Mathematica and mention that setting the constants to specific values defeats the purpose of their project.
Dragonfall
I need mathematica to plot

[tex]y=\frac{(a_0+a_1)\beta}{\beta^2-a_0a_1}[/tex] by assuming that [tex]a_0<0,a_1<0,-a_0-a_1<a_0a_1\pi[/tex].

by telling it to ignore the singularities, etc, but it keeps telling me that beta is not a machine sized real number at blah.

Also, how do I specify a range (ie, y from -10 to 10) in Mathematica?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dragonfall said:
I need mathematica to plot

[tex]y=\frac{(a_0+a_1)\beta}{\beta^2-a_0a_1}[/tex] by assuming that [tex]a_0<0,a_1<0,-a_0-a_1<a_0a_1\pi[/tex].

by telling it to ignore the singularities, etc, but it keeps telling me that beta is not a machine sized real number at blah.

Also, how do I specify a range (ie, y from -10 to 10) in Mathematica?

Thanks.

the problem is that you're using the constants that aren't numbers. i don't think mathematica will do that. use the help browser for plot, i think the command should be something like [Plot, function, {x,a,b}, {c,d}] or something like that, where the things in the fancy brakets give yr range/domain. i hate mathematica, so double check in the help browser.

So I'd have to set a0 and a1 to some fixed real value? This defeats the purpose of my trying to solve a PDE using graphical methods.

1. What is the purpose of plotting y=\frac{(a_0+a_1)\beta}{\beta^2-a_0a_1} in Mathematica?

The purpose of plotting this equation in Mathematica is to visualize the relationship between the variables a_0, a_1, and \beta and how they affect the value of y. By graphing the equation, we can see how the values of a_0, a_1, and \beta change the shape of the curve and the overall behavior of the function.

2. What are the steps to plot y=\frac{(a_0+a_1)\beta}{\beta^2-a_0a_1} in Mathematica?

To plot this equation in Mathematica, you will first need to define the variables a_0, a_1, and \beta using the "Set" command. Then, use the "Plot" command to graph the equation by typing "Plot[y=\frac{(a_0+a_1)\beta}{\beta^2-a_0a_1}, {\beta, lower bound, upper bound}]" where the lower and upper bounds are the desired range for the x-axis. Finally, use the "Show" command to display the plot.

3. Can I change the appearance of the plot?

Yes, you can change the appearance of the plot by using different options in the "Plot" command. For example, you can change the color, style, and thickness of the line, add labels and titles, and adjust the axes. You can also use the "Manipulate" command to interactively change the values of the variables and see how it affects the plot.

4. Is there a way to add multiple plots on the same graph?

Yes, you can add multiple plots on the same graph by using the "Show" command and separating each plot with a comma. For example, if you have two equations y_1 and y_2, you can plot them on the same graph by typing "Show[Plot[y_1, {\beta, lower bound, upper bound}], Plot[y_2, {\beta, lower bound, upper bound}]]". This will display both plots on the same graph for comparison.

5. How can I export the plot as an image or a file?

To export the plot as an image or a file, you can use the "Export" command and specify the desired file format. For example, if you want to export the plot as a PNG image, you can type "Export["filename.png", plot]" where "filename" is the desired name for the file and "plot" is the name of the plot you want to export. This will save the plot as a PNG file in your chosen directory.