Energy to move mass (potential energy)

In summary, to move a 900 kg mass from the Earth's surface to an altitude 3 times the Earth's radius, the required energy is 3.76 x 10^{10} Joules. This is calculated using the formula \Delta U = GMm[\frac{1}{R_1} - \frac{1}{R_2}], with G = 6.67 x 10^{-11} Nm^2/kg^2, R_1 = R_E = 6.37 x 10^6 m, and M = 5.98 x 10^{24} kg. However, if the altitude is measured as 4 times the Earth's radius, the correct answer should be
merced

Homework Statement

How much energy is required to move a 900 kg mass from the Earth's surface to an altitude 3 times the Earth's radius?

Homework Equations

[tex] \Delta U = GMm[\frac{1}{R_1} - \frac{1}{R_2}][/tex]
[tex] G = 6.67 x 10^{-11} Nm^2/kg^2[/tex]
[tex]R_1 = R_E = 6.37 x 10^6 m[/tex]
[tex]M = 5.98 x 10^{24} kg [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in everything with [tex] R_1[/tex] = radius of earth
and [tex] R_2 [/tex] = 3(radius of earth) + 1 radius of Earth = 4 radius of earth...and got [tex] \Delta U = 4.23 x 10^{10}[/tex].

The answer is [tex] 3.76 x 10^{10}[/tex], where [tex] R_2[/tex] = 3(radius of earth).

Why don't you use the radius of the Earth plus the altitude (i.e. 4x radius of earth)? For the first potential energy, I use the radius as the radius of the earth, so I don't see why you use only the altitude for the second potential energy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
merced said:

Homework Statement

How much energy is required to move a 900 kg mass from the Earth's surface to an altitude 3 times the Earth's radius?

Homework Equations

[tex] \Delta U = GMm[\frac{1}{R_1} - \frac{1}{R_2}][/tex]
[tex] G = 6.67 x 10^{-11} Nm^2/kg^2[/tex]
[tex]R_1 = R_E = 6.37 x 10^6 m[/tex]
[tex]M = 5.98 x 10^{24} kg [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in everything with [tex] R_1[/tex] = radius of earth
and [tex] R_2 [/tex] = 3(radius of earth) + 1 radius of Earth = 4 radius of earth...and got [tex] \Delta U = 4.23 x 10^{10}[/tex].

The answer is [tex] 3.76 x 10^{10}[/tex], where [tex] R_2[/tex] = 3(radius of earth).

Why don't you use the radius of the Earth plus the altitude (i.e. 4x radius of earth)? For the first potential energy, I use the radius as the radius of the earth, so I don't see why you use only the altitude for the second potential energy.

Your reasoning is entirely correct, [itex] r_f [/itex] {\em should} be [itex] 4 R_E [/itex]. If they used three times the radius of the Earth, they made a mistake, since "altitude" is defined to be measured above ground.

Ok, If I only can tell my professor before the next test!

Thanks!

What is the concept of "energy to move mass"?

The concept of "energy to move mass" refers to the amount of energy required to move an object of a certain mass from one point to another. It is also known as potential energy, as the object has the potential to move due to its position or state.

What are the different forms of potential energy?

There are several forms of potential energy, including gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, and chemical potential energy. Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. Elastic potential energy is the energy stored in a stretched or compressed object, such as a spring. Chemical potential energy is the energy stored in chemical bonds.

How is potential energy calculated?

The formula for potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance the object is lifted. This formula applies to gravitational potential energy, but other forms of potential energy have their own specific formulas.

How does potential energy relate to kinetic energy?

Potential energy and kinetic energy are two forms of energy that are interrelated. When an object has potential energy due to its position, it can be converted into kinetic energy when it is in motion. This conversion happens when the object is released and the force of gravity causes it to accelerate, increasing its kinetic energy as it moves.

What factors affect the amount of potential energy an object has?

The amount of potential energy an object has depends on its mass, its height or distance from the ground, and the strength of the gravitational field it is in. The higher the object is lifted and the greater its mass, the more potential energy it will have. Similarly, the stronger the gravitational field, the more potential energy an object will have at a given height.