Was lqg assessed unfairly at KITP program in quantum nature of singularities?

In summary, the final discussion of this KITP mini-program characterized the weakness of LQG as "the whole theory". This was seen as a constructive way to end the program, as it acknowledged that while some parts of the theory may be interesting and promising, as a whole it lacks a clear explanation. This was also compared to string theory, which also lacks a complete explanation at the non-perturbative level. However, it was noted that the perturbative aspects and successes of string theory are undeniable, but the non-perturbative component is still not fully understood. Some believe that this may be due to unresolved conceptual problems in general relativity. The presentation on tachyon condensation in string theory was seen as a
josh1
Specifically what I`m referring to is the final discussion summing up the program in which the weakness of lqg was characterized explicitly as "the whole theory". Was this a constructive way to end the program? Perhaps some of you would rather ignore this.

Physics news on Phys.org
As I said in the original thread about this KITP mini-program, I think Dr. Horowitz was saying that the good parts are interesting, promising, and may be useful, but as a whole, the theory lacks an entire clear explication. Of course I do not speak for KITP in any capacity, but only for myself, and from my very limited understanding. Surely few could argue against the same lack of an entire clear explication as applied to String.

R

rtharbaugh1 said:
Surely few could argue against the same lack of an entire clear explication as applied to String.

I`m sorry, but rather than "few could argue", most know for a fact that the ideas that currently serve as the "physical" foundations of lqg are nowhere near as sound as the one`s for string theory. That was the point of the conclusion. As I said, perhaps some of you would rather ignore this.

josh1 said:
most know for a fact that the ideas that currently serve as the "physical" foundations of lqg are nowhere near as sound as the one`s for string theory.
Can you explain that?
I think that the physical foundations of string theory are much more vague than that of LQG, at least at the NON-perturbative level.
String theory has many remarkable features, but clear foundations at the nonperturbative level are not one of them.
On the other hand, the physical foundation for LQG is simply the Einstein (or Einstein-Cartan) equation of gravity.

Last edited:
Demystifier said:
Can you explain that?
I think that the physical foundations of string theory are much more vague than that of LQG, at least at the NON-perturbative level.

I think that this is probably the crucial point. The non-perturbative aspects and successes of string theory are undeniable, but the perturbative component is still, in my opinion, not understood at all. The reason for this is possibly the same as the reasons for the outstanding problems in GR: examing string theory perturbatively quickly makes one run into very, very deep conceptual problems. I'm beginning to come around to the line of thinking that states that perturbative string theory *cannot* be fully understood until the conceptual difficulties in GR (specifically, the problem of time and the operator ordering ambiguities in attempts at canonical quantization) are resolved.

That said, if the remaining conceptual problems in GR are finally understood, one could speculate that this will contribute to the resolution of LQG one way or the other far sooner than string theory.

Last edited:
coalquay404 said:
The perturbative aspects and successes of string theory are undeniable,

:confused:

Perturbative bosonic string theory predicts 26 flat dimensions and tachyons, in complete disagreement with experiments.

Perturbative superstring theory predicts 10 flat dimensions and unbroken supersymmetry, in complete disagreement with experiments.

coalquay404 said:
but the non-perturbative component is still, in my opinion, not understood at all

Compactification of dimensions and supersymmetry breaking are non-perturbative phenomena. Thus, without this non-perturbative component, string theory is simply wrong.

Thomas Larsson said:
:confused:

Perturbative bosonic string theory predicts 26 flat dimensions and tachyons, in complete disagreement with experiments.

Perturbative superstring theory predicts 10 flat dimensions and unbroken supersymmetry, in complete disagreement with experiments.

Compactification of dimensions and supersymmetry breaking are non-perturbative phenomena. Thus, without this non-perturbative component, string theory is simply wrong.

Ack! Apologies, it was early morning here and I hadn't had coffee. Fixed now.

coalquay404 said:
..but the perturbative component (of String Theory) is still, in my opinion, not understood at all. ...

Dr. Horowitz seemed to think that Eva Silverstein's presentation on tachyon condensation provided a peturbative insight. Do you include tachyon condensation in this opinion? I have been meaning to look into this myself, having been made curious by Dr. Hubner's question in the final discussion about whether evolution in spacetime can be made to stop without going through a singularity, and Dr. Horowitz' reply invoking Dr. Silverstein's talk.

Has anyone here listened to the talk, or otherwise have insight about this?

R

1. What is lqg and the KITP program on quantum nature of singularities?

Loop quantum gravity (lqg) is a theoretical framework that attempts to merge general relativity and quantum mechanics. The Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics (KITP) is a research center at the University of California, Santa Barbara that hosts programs on various topics, including the quantum nature of singularities.

2. Was lqg assessed unfairly at the KITP program?

This is a subjective question and cannot be answered definitively. However, it is worth noting that scientists are constantly evaluating and challenging theories, and it is common for ideas to be debated and criticized in the scientific community. This can be done in a respectful and constructive manner, and ultimately helps to improve our understanding of the universe.

3. What is the current status of lqg in the scientific community?

Lqg is still a developing theory and is not yet widely accepted by the scientific community. It is considered to be a promising approach to solving the problem of merging general relativity and quantum mechanics, but it has not yet been experimentally tested or proven.

4. What are some potential applications of lqg?

If lqg is proven to be a valid theory, it could have a significant impact on our understanding of the universe. It could potentially help us to understand the behavior of matter and energy on a quantum level, as well as the behavior of spacetime itself. It could also have applications in fields such as cosmology and astrophysics.

5. Are there any ongoing studies or research on lqg?

Yes, there are many ongoing studies and research projects on lqg. Scientists are continuously working to improve and refine the theory, as well as exploring its potential implications. The KITP program on quantum nature of singularities is just one example of the various initiatives and collaborations dedicated to studying lqg.