Need help with a sensor circuit using a photodetector

In summary: intensity versus distance, linearity of the response over the range of distances being measured, accuracy of the instrumentation used, and how repeatable the measurements are.
anthrax90
hello, I am currently working on a simple school project to make a sensor circuit. i need the circuit to include a photodetector (either photodiode, phototransistor or LDR) to sense and measure the intensity of a typical laser beam (from a cheap laser pointer), the main aim is to get a different reading depending when the distance of the laser from the photodetector is varied. so I am seeking advice on which photodetector is the most suitable for this purpose, i.e. be sensitive enough to detect the difference in the intensity of the laser when it's distance from the photodetector is simply varied. if this is not possible at all, then my other option is to also vary the intensity of the laser itself.

thanks, please give reasoning as well with your advice

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, since a reasonably good laser beam doesn't diverge very much, you're going to have to vary the distance quite a bit. Start by measuring the spot size versus distance -- how far away does spot finally get out to 1cm, for example?

The only other thing that attenuates the beam intensity with distance is scattering off of dust particles and such in the air, and again, you have to go through a lot of air to get much attenuation.

Probably a better-controlled experiment would be to use two polarizers, and plot the attenuation of the beam with respect to the angle of the two polarizers. Are you familiar with this type of experiment?

As for the best detector, you would want something that has a reasonable detection area (a few mm^2), over which the output current (or whatever) does not vary much. Most photodiode detectors that I'm familiar with have a definite "sweet spot" for a focused beam to hit, so they probably wouldn't be consistent enough for use in your laser beam detection experiement.

What can you tell us about the characteristics of the three detectors that you've listed? What are they made of, and what kind of external circuit would you use to get data from them?

basically its sort of a proximity sensor circuit, using a potential divider, the voltage reading should change with the distance between the laser and the photodetector. i have to complete a full plan before being able to experiment myself, so i need to know which photodetector would sense a difference in the intensity of the laser if it is moved a few cm closer to it or further away. if this is not possible because of the strenght of the laser beam, then do you know anyway i could achieve the same goal using a normal light beam or infra red perhaps. the problem with these 2 is i need to make the light or infrared more directional so it hits the photodetector only if they are in line with each other.

as for the characteristics of the 3 photodetectors,i don't even have them yet, i have to decide which ones to get that's why I am asking for help, they can be anything as long as they are not expensive so preferably a CdS photocell or some sort of photodiode or even a phototransistor.

lastly i can't use any expensive components, thanks

berkeman said:
Well, since a reasonably good laser beam doesn't diverge very much, you're going to have to vary the distance quite a bit. Start by measuring the spot size versus distance -- how far away does spot finally get out to 1cm, for example?

You can put a diverging lens in front of the laser, to make the spot size vary the way you want. It will also make the device safer, if you look straight at the beam!

Making the beam larger than the detector, at the working distance, also removes the "detector sweet spot" issue.

any more ideas?

preferably using electronics and circuit components rather than optical components

thanks

I think AlephZero's idea of using a diverging lens is your only bet for getting a variation in intensity over the small distance changes that you have mentioned.

photocell

how can i calculate the output of the photocell

pleasez reply as soon as

Last edited:
how can i calculate the output of the photocell. i have used a filament lamp and prism which illuminates the spectrum onto a white screen. The photocell is moved in between the prism and white screen at different lengths such as 2,4,6,8,10cm from the prism. and what reading is accurate from the milliammeter such as 3sf or whatever the readings come up as. Is the reading from the milliammeter the output of the photocell or is the intensity from various distances between the filament lamp power output and the sphere of the photocell

pleasez reply as soon as

berkeman might want to move your question to another thread since your question is a little different the the OPs. But I'll give you some considerations when measuring the output from the cell with your setup. First, the photcell doesn't see all colors equally. And since you're using a prism your photocell may be seeing different colors as the distance from it increases, and will dependon the prisms orientation. The manufacturers specs will probably have a graph of the ouput vs. the lights frequency. Typically in applications one trys to find a source that's frequecy is around the sensors peak frequency inorder to get the best response. Second, the light source is a filament bulb and doesn't emit all the colors you're seeing at the same intensity.

Regards

what other sort of light source do u suggest i should use. Does the filament lamp emit infrared rays. Is using the prism a good source for reflecting the light rays. I am only looking for infrared light in which the photocell does sense infrared light just i think. Is this true? Relating to my question how can i measure the output from the photocell. or is it the reading from the milliammeter.

reply as soon as

thanks

A prism refracts the light; refracting the higher frequency light at a grater angle than the lower ones. That's why you see a "rainbow" of colors. Maybe with a light bulb you wouldn't need the prism if you are just trying to get an output with varying distances from the source like the OP is trying to do. If your photocell is sensivity to IR (and it probably is) and since filament light bulbs emits lots of IR (but also visible light) then you will get an output.

Measuring the output with a milliamp meter will work okay. You would want to record the value of current at various distances.

Hope this helps

so the milliamp is the output detector by the photocell. Is there any calculations i need such as the intensity of light from the filament lamp that lands on a sphere which is the photocell like what hoot said about explaining the light intensity cause I am wandering why i need that as I am only investigating the output produced from the light.

Also how accuate should the reading be on the milliammeter eg 3sf

reply as soon as

thanks

Inorder to calibrate your photocell you would need some standard light source or another calibrated lightmeter. You would need to know what intensity is falling on the cell; usually measured in candela per square metre (cd/m2). Now I think in your case you won't need to go to all the trouble and expense. So just use your "light meter" to give relative differences with varying distances from the source. That's going to be about the best can do. If you want to learn more about light measurments you might want to start with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_meter"

Hope this helps.

Oh. "Also how accuate should the reading be on the milliammeter eg 3sf" Test you lightmeter and see if you really need 3sf. Maybe one or two will do.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a sensor circuit?

A sensor circuit is an electronic circuit that utilizes a sensor, such as a photodetector, to measure or detect a physical quantity, such as light, temperature, or pressure. The sensor converts the physical quantity into an electrical signal, which can then be processed by the circuit.

2. How does a photodetector work?

A photodetector, also known as a photosensor, is a type of sensor that converts light into an electrical signal. It typically consists of a semiconductor material, such as silicon, that is sensitive to light. When light strikes the photodetector, it creates electron-hole pairs, causing a change in the electrical conductivity of the material. This change is then detected and amplified by the sensor circuit.

3. What components are needed for a sensor circuit using a photodetector?

In addition to the photodetector itself, a sensor circuit usually requires other components such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors to amplify and process the electrical signal from the photodetector. The specific components needed will depend on the design and application of the circuit.

4. What are some common applications for sensor circuits using photodetectors?

Sensor circuits using photodetectors have a wide range of applications, including light sensors for automatic lighting systems, proximity sensors for touchless switches, and flame sensors for fire detection. They are also used in various industries for quality control and monitoring purposes, such as in agriculture, automotive, and aerospace.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with a sensor circuit using a photodetector?

If you are experiencing problems with your sensor circuit, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue. First, check all connections and make sure they are secure. Next, ensure that the components are properly placed and oriented according to the circuit design. You can also use a multimeter to check for any faulty components or incorrect readings. If all else fails, consult a professional or refer to the circuit's design and troubleshooting guide.