Area enclosed by sine and cosine.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the area enclosed by the sine and cosine functions on the interval of 45 degrees and 225 degrees. The individual is having trouble with their answer being a negative number after integration. After some discussion and realization of incorrect signs, it is determined that the correct answer is -2 root 2.
linuxux

Homework Statement

Hello, I'm trying to find the area enclosed by sine the cosine function on the interval 45 degrees and 225 degrees, my problem is i get a negative number after i do the integration, my answer is -2 root 2.

here's what i did,

sin(x)-cos(x)dx

after integrating,

cos(x)+sin(x)

evaluating between 45 degrees and 225 degrees,

cos(225)+sin(225) - cos(45)-sin(45) (all of which equal -2 root 2 over 2)

resulting in -4 root 2 over 2 or, -2 root 2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
look at the graph

Your signs are wrong on the integral. Eg. the integral of sin(x) is -cos(x).

oh, darn, i was looking going in a derivative direction (now i feel like i wasted 2 hours) thanks!

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for finding the area enclosed by sine and cosine?

The formula for finding the area enclosed by sine and cosine is A = (1/2)ab sin(C), where a and b are the lengths of the sides of the triangle and C is the angle between them.

2. How do you determine the values of a and b in the formula?

The values of a and b can be determined using the Pythagorean theorem or by using trigonometric ratios such as sine and cosine.

3. Can the area enclosed by sine and cosine be negative?

No, the area enclosed by sine and cosine cannot be negative as it represents a physical area and cannot have a negative value.

4. Is there a relationship between the area enclosed by sine and cosine and the amplitude of the functions?

Yes, the area enclosed by sine and cosine is directly proportional to the amplitude of the functions. This means that as the amplitude increases, the area enclosed also increases.

5. How is the area enclosed by sine and cosine used in real-world applications?

The area enclosed by sine and cosine is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the work done by a force acting on an object. It is also used in calculating the area under a periodic function, such as in sound and vibration analysis.