Is it possible to see the stars in the sky?

• Thread starter angel 42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary, the conversation started with a question about seeing the stars and evolved into a discussion about the nature of seeing and perceiving the sun. Different perspectives were brought up, including the concept of seeing the sun as it was 8 minutes ago due to the time it takes for light to reach us, the theory of relativity and its impact on our perception of time, and the idea that perception can vary from person to person.
angel 42
can you see the stars?

hi, can anyone of you look and see the stars, for example, can you see the sun?
kind of a puzzle:confused:
lets see what do you think

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have wireless, so I'm stuck inside, and all I can see through the window is... trees, flowers and grass. Already not that bad actually :smile:

Did they move the stars lately, or why do you inquire ?

We had some bad thunderstorms lately so I doubt I can see anything. I'm not going out to look, but I can't see stars/sun from my window.

Did they move the stars lately, or why do you inquire ?[/QUOTE]

it's a 100% physics talking, there's a point just think

Are you trying to figure out whether or not we're aware that the Sun is a star? :rolleyes:

- Warren

chroot said:
Are you trying to figure out whether or not we're aware that the Sun is a star? :rolleyes:

- Warren

WHAT! No, I thought it was a giant Planter's Cheese Puff!:biggrin:

chroot said:

no I'm not, I know as you do that the sun is a star and there are other 10000000... stars, but my Q is when you go out and look at that round sun do you think that you are seeing it really?

lets figuer out who's the cliver here

angel 42 said:

I think I have that sussed :rolleyes:

angel 42 said:
no I'm not, I know as you do that the sun is a star and there are other 10000000... stars, but my Q is when you go out and look at that round sun do you think that you are seeing it really?

You're seeing it approx. 8 minutes later.

Last edited:
Yes when I look at the sun I think that I'm really seeing it. Except for the perceived size that's smaller than actual due to the sun being far away. I'm confused :confused:.

I think Evo cracked it. It all makes sense now.

By the definition of "seeing", i.e. your eyes are receiving light from the object and your brain is processing it, you do see the sun.

I am lost at where this is going??:confused:

G01 said:
By the definition of "seeing", i.e. your eyes are receiving light from the object and your brain is processing it, you do see the sun.

I am lost at where this is going??:confused:
When you look at a star, you are seeing the light that it gave off in the past, how long ago depends on the distance. Some stars that we "see" today may no longer exist.

Well, the theory of relativity abolishes the notion of absolute time. It is meaningless to ask about the state of a distant object "right now," as the concept of "right now" doesn't extend beyond your own frame of reference.

- Warren

angel 42 said:
chroot said:
my Q is when you go out and look at that round sun do you think that you are seeing it really?
When you put it that way, the answer is definitely yes. When I go out and look at that round sun, I think that I am seeing it really. Do you think am I really looking at that round sun?

Evo said:
You're seeing it approx. 8 minutes later.

bingo, but still missing a part of the correct answer what do you see??

chroot said:
Well, the theory of relativity abolishes the notion of absolute time. It is meaningless to ask about the state of a distant object "right now," as the concept of "right now" doesn't extend beyond your own frame of reference.

- Warren
What if the distant star is stationary in my frame?

angel 42 said:
bingo, but ...
Bingo is played differently in my neighborhood.

jimmysnyder said:
What if the distant star is stationary in my frame?

The Sun is not stationary in your frame.

- Warren

When you put it that way, the answer is definitely yes. When I go out and look at that round sun, I think that I am seeing it really. Do you think am I really looking at that round sun?[/QUOTE]

no I and you aren't looking at it? :wink:

angel 42 said:
bingo, but still missing a part of the correct answer what do you see??
I see dead people

Light?

angel 42 said:
no I and you aren't looking at it? :wink:
When I am not looking at the sun, I don't see it.

Last edited:
Light?[/QUOTE]

no, :rolleyes:

angel 42 said:
hi, can anyone of you look and see the stars, for example, can you see the sun?

I asked my niece, and the answer is an unqualified 'no'. Then again, she's stone blind. :rolleyes:

Evo said:
I see dead people
Wow, post 21. That's pathetic, guys.

I want to know: have you ever seen the rain?

I can't see the sun or the ocean or the trees... They are all hiding underneath their surface.

russ_watters said:
OK, I want to know who is REALLY cliver. I mean you are going to have to be so cliver to get this.

Do you (you!) feel like I do ?

Think about that for a while, as I pat mself on the back.

(Evrone here try to learn a little physicis an be not so defenisiv)

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
. . .I want to know: have you ever seen the rain?

I have. It was coming down on a sunny day. Oh and. . .Yeah!

As for the original post, I often wonder if everyone "sees" things the same. In school once, I colored in a picture and made my sun yellow. It looked right to me. The child next to me made his sun black and then told me mine was wrong. We have the physical side of the question (light and the movement of the object through space and time), but then there is the biological and psychological sides (perception). Do we all perceive the sun the same? I don't know.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:

Better than that. I've seen the snow on a sunny day ... in June (we've had a really strange summer - I've never seen this much snow on Pikes Peak this late in the year and a lot of the mountain jeep trails are still impassable due to snow).

The only problem I have with the original post is that there's nothing really special about seeing the Sun. You see it the same way you see anything else and it always takes time for light to pass from the object you're seeing to you.

So, either the delay is a natural part of 'seeing' something and we do see the Sun, or else you're rendering the word 'seeing' useless, 'feeling' useless, 'hearing' useless, etc, since you always perceive something in the past vs. the present.

Of course you don't see the whole sun... the blue portion is spread throughout the sky, so when looking at the sun you only see a portion of it, because a portion of it (evenly spread throughout) can actually be seen where you aren't looking

russ_watters said:

Hey, watch who you call pathetic. At least I knew where he was going with the elapsed time. :grumpy:

OK so I don't really get the point of this thread, but since it is started already...

When I look in the direction of the stars I collect light that is emitted by it. This is a very small portion of all the radiation, first a small part of the electromagnetic spectrum, second ignoring all matter radiation, so I collect only a very limited amount of information. On top of that, the visible electromagnetic spectrum emitted by the star is not necessarilly the same as the one received at the level of the ground on Earth. But let us concentrate only on the visible part of the electromagnetic spectrum just outside the star, ignoring the time it takes to travel and the redshift it undergoes so doing, ignoring again the diffusion it undergoes in the atmosphere of the Earth... This radiation is not strictly emitted by the entire star, but rather only the photosphere, the region where it becomes transparent to the part of the spectrum we are talking about here.

Am I getting closer to what you expect ?

Evo said:
When you look at a star, you are seeing the light that it gave off in the past, how long ago depends on the distance. Some stars that we "see" today may no longer exist.

I knew about this, but I'm still lost at where this thread is going. Since if this was the complete answer it would be over by now! I really want to know the answer to this...

G01 said:
I knew about this, but I'm still lost at where this thread is going. Since if this was the complete answer it would be over by now! I really want to know the answer to this...
I have no clue what he's looking for either. It's like me asking...what am I thinking of when I think of the sun? :rolleyes:

chroot said:
Now you're talking. :biggrin: