Muon energy - Reasonable result?

In summary, the conversation discusses an assignment involving a muon caught in a zinc atom at n=2 and the calculation of the energy of the photon emitted during the transition to n=1. The speaker has managed to calculate the energy but is unsure of its validity due to their lack of experience in this type of calculation. The question is poorly written and the speaker suggests using Bohr Theory for Z=30 and adjusting the reduced mass using the muon.
December
Hi.

I have an assignment where a muon gets caught in a zinc atom (Z=30) at n=2. I'm supposed to calculate the energy of the photon that is emitted in the transition to n=1.

I have managed to calculate the energy of this photon, but I'm having a little trouble determining the validity of my result:

The result I got was that the emitted photon had an energy of approximately 380 MeV. Even though I expected a high energy/frequency since the mass of the muon is larger than that of an electron, I still think that this is an extremely high energy.

I don't have extremely much experience of this type of calculations, and maybe the result _is_ within reasonable limits, but I actually don't know.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question itself is very poorly written. For one thing, the 2s and 2p states have quite different energies. So, it appears that you are just expected to use the Bohr approximation for Zinc! :eek: And it doesn't look like you are expected to account for screening in even the most simplistic way.

I get a number that is over 2 orders of magnitude smaller than yours. We'll need to see your calculation to be able to tell you what's wrong.

Just use Bohr Theory for Z = 30 and adjust the reduced mass using the muon.

1. What is a muon?

A muon is a subatomic particle that is similar to an electron, but with a larger mass. It is classified as a type of lepton and is found in cosmic rays and particle accelerators.

2. How is muon energy measured?

Muon energy is typically measured using a technique called calorimetry. This involves using detectors to measure the amount of energy deposited by the muon as it passes through a material.

3. What is considered a reasonable result for muon energy?

There is no one specific value that is considered a reasonable result for muon energy, as it can vary depending on the energy of the muon and the experimental setup. However, results that fall within the expected range based on theoretical predictions and previous experimental data are generally considered reasonable.

4. What factors can affect muon energy measurements?

There are several factors that can affect muon energy measurements, including the energy of the muon, the material it passes through, and the accuracy of the detectors used. Environmental factors such as temperature and pressure can also have an impact on the measurements.

5. How is muon energy used in scientific research?

Muon energy is used in a variety of scientific research, including particle physics, astrophysics, and nuclear physics. It can provide insights into the properties and behavior of subatomic particles, as well as help us understand the structure of the universe.