Energy in a vertical spring mass system

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab involving a spring mass system and the attempt to show that energy is constant throughout oscillations. The equations used include the energy equation and the equation for potential energy in a spring system. The issue arises when the potential energy at the bottom is negative due to the displacement being negative. The solution is to use the equation for spring potential energy, where x is the amount of stretch, rather than using y as the displacement. This resolves the issue and shows that energy is indeed conserved in the system.
S.A

Homework Statement

I am doing a lab in which we are to show that the energy in a spring mass system is constant throughout the oscillations.

Homework Equations

I set y initial = 0 to be the point where the spring was in equilibrium when the mass was attached to it. At any given point the I believe the energy should be
[tex]E_t=\frac{1}{2}Mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}ky^2 + Mgy[/tex]
Where y is the displacement from the equilibrium position and y+ isup

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I'm having is that at the top of its oscillation all 3 of the energies are positive.
On the bottom both kinetic and potential energy should be the same since both the values are square keeping them positive. However the potential energy is negative at the bottom since the displacement in negative.
So I get
[tex]E_{top}=\frac{1}{2}Mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}ky^2 + Mgy[/tex]
[tex]E_{bottom}=\frac{1}{2}Mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}ky^2 - Mgy[/tex]
Which makes it seem that energy is not conserved since [tex]E_{top}\ne E_{bottom}[/tex]

Can anyone point me to what I am missing here?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Realize that spring PE = ½kx², where x is the amount of stretch. The stretch is not zero at the equilibrium point, so ½ky² is not the spring energy.

Oh I see it now. Thanks for the help :)

1. What is a vertical spring mass system?

A vertical spring mass system is a physical system consisting of a spring attached to a fixed point above and a mass attached to the end of the spring. The mass can move up and down due to the spring's elasticity, creating potential and kinetic energy.

2. How does energy work in a vertical spring mass system?

In a vertical spring mass system, energy is stored in the spring as potential energy when the mass is pulled down and compressed the spring. As the mass is released, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the mass to move upward. The cycle continues as the mass moves up and down, converting between potential and kinetic energy.

3. What factors affect the energy in a vertical spring mass system?

The energy in a vertical spring mass system is affected by the mass of the object attached to the spring, the spring constant (a measure of the spring's stiffness), and the amplitude of the oscillations (how far the mass moves up and down). A larger mass or stiffer spring will result in more energy being stored in the system.

4. How is energy conserved in a vertical spring mass system?

In an ideal vertical spring mass system, energy is conserved. This means that the total amount of energy in the system remains constant, with the potential energy and kinetic energy adding up to a constant value. However, in real-world systems, energy may be lost due to friction or air resistance, causing the amplitude of the oscillations to decrease over time.

5. What is the formula for calculating the potential energy in a vertical spring mass system?

The formula for calculating potential energy in a vertical spring mass system is PE = 1/2kx^2, where PE is potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position. This formula can be used to calculate the potential energy at any point in the oscillation cycle.