SHM problem, involves a laser.

• Thread starter Jack_O
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser Shm
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to Maxwell's Equations but has turned into a mechanics problem involving a mass suspended from a string. The question asks for the maximum height the mass will reach with a laser input of 200J, and the conversation leads to the conclusion that it is a small amount due to the minuscule force of light. The solution involves using conservation of mechanical energy to calculate the height.
Jack_O
I am struggling with the following question:

homeworkex2.jpg

My attempt so far is:

homeworkex2attempt.jpg

(in the diagram h is supposed to be A)
(i have also assumed the pulse time is negligible, so the mass starts at the resultant velocity)

The set of homework questions this has come from is supposed to be related to Maxwell's Equations but this one seems to have become a mechanics problem. After reading the question i first thought that the laser would be pushing the mass directly upward against gravity, but after calculating the resultant velocity and re-reading the question my best guess is that it's supposed to be pushing the mass horizontally while it is suspended from a string.

This would be SHM i thought and the amplitude would be the height increase. My problem now is the problem doesn't give the length of the sting and i can't find a way to calculate f or A without using l.

Any help much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question doesn't ask for the amplitude of the oscillation. It's only asks for the maximum height. Use conservation of mechanical energy.

OK, i was barking up the wrong tree, after equating E(p) and E(k) i got h=v2/(2g), after plugging in the values i got about 2.3x10^-4m. This seems quite small for a 200J energy input but i guess it's reasonable as the force light exerts is minuscule?

That seems right. 200J/c isn't going to be much momentum.

Ok, thanks.

What is SHM problem that involves a laser?

SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion) problem that involves a laser is a physics problem that deals with the oscillatory motion of a laser beam in a harmonic potential. In this problem, the laser beam is considered as a particle that is subjected to a force that is directly proportional to its displacement from the equilibrium position.

What are the applications of SHM problem involving a laser?

SHM problem involving a laser has various applications in different fields such as optics, mechanics, and electronics. It is used in laser interferometers, laser cooling technology, and optical tweezers for manipulating microscopic particles. It also has applications in precision measurements and laser-based sensors.

What factors affect the SHM problem involving a laser?

The factors that affect the SHM problem involving a laser include the mass of the laser beam, the stiffness of the potential, and the initial conditions such as amplitude and phase. Changes in any of these factors can alter the oscillatory behavior of the laser beam and affect the outcome of the problem.

How is SHM problem involving a laser solved?

SHM problem involving a laser is solved using mathematical equations derived from the principles of simple harmonic motion. These equations involve variables such as displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. By using the correct equations and applying appropriate initial conditions, the problem can be solved to find the displacement or velocity of the laser beam at any given time.

What are the limitations of SHM problem involving a laser?

SHM problem involving a laser has certain limitations, such as assuming a linear potential and neglecting any external forces. In reality, the potential may not be perfectly linear, and there may be other external forces acting on the laser beam, which can affect its motion. These limitations may lead to discrepancies between the theoretical solution and the actual behavior of the laser beam.