What are some good science journals?

In summary, if you are looking for a reputable science journal, I would recommend Science or Nature. Although they are a little more expensive, they are worth it because of their high impact factor and quality of content. If you are not interested in being published, then you will not be successful in getting your paper published in a reputable journal.
Saladsamurai
I was wondering what are some good science journals (by good, I mean reputable).

I hear that Science is a good one. Is that the name of it? Just Science? And is something I can subscribe to like a magazine?

I basically just want to keep up with science and technology but don't want to look at all the crap they put in Pop Mechanics and the like.

I used to subscribe to Science News and liked it because it was pretty small and readable, but I have know idea how reputable it was?

Any thoughts?

Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
Saladsamurai said:
I was wondering what are some good science journals (by good, I mean reputable).

I hear that Science is a good one. Is that the name of it? Just Science? And is something I can subscribe to like a magazine?

I basically just want to keep up with science and technology but don't want to look at all the crap they put in Pop Mechanics and the like.

I used to subscribe to Science News and liked it because it was pretty small and readable, but I have know idea how reputable it was?

Any thoughts?

Casey

If you are amateur, to publish your document in reputable journal is impossible.
They reject all of amateurs' submission without reviewing.
Physics Review Letters and Physics Review Series are reputable journals.
I have not found amateurs' article in those journals.
Journals do not openly declare that, but that is real editorial policy.

Jang Jin Hong said:
If you are amateur, to publish your document in reputable journal is impossible.
They reject all of amateurs' submission without reviewing.
Physics Review Letters and Physics Review Series are reputable journals.
I have not found amateurs' article in those journals.
Journals do not openly declare that, but that is real editorial policy.

That's good to know; but I am not interested in being published, just in reading those who have :smile:

Saladsamurai said:
That's good to know; but I am not interested in being published, just in reading those who have :smile:

Almost every reputalbe journal is difficult to read.
Nature must be a reputable journal which can be considered.
I heard that science has some difficulty in personal buying.

Most libraries in university science departments would carry Science and Nature. If you live near a university, you could make a habit of visiting there every week or two and reading those journals, as well as others.

Proton Soup said:
does anyone have an opinion on open source journals?

http://www.doaj.org/

BioMedCentral (BMC) is a publisher that pioneered the open source publishing, they follow a strict peer-review system so there is screening at the door. They have an impact factor of about 5, so I think you can call that average. You won't find the ground breaking research in there, but the articles are not bad.

I like the editorials of Science and Nature, I wish that they'd had paper subscriptions on only that part (thus cheaper than the whole journal). You should keep in mind that Science in Nature do not have the highest impact factor, a journal like Cell for instance scores higher, but they do cover a wider ground.

Ah! I almost forgot: visit the sites of the different journals and subscribe to their podcasts, those are really fun to listen to (they interview the researchers that have published interesting articles about their findings).

How about the Annals of Improbable Research?
http://improbable.com/" [Broken]
Their swimsuit issue is worth the subscription.

Last edited by a moderator:
One way to track your interests is to look at on-line e-prints of papers on ArXiv.
http://arxiv.org/

As you open the PDFs of the papers, look at the headers. Papers that have been accepted for publication in a peer-reviewed journal will be identified in the headers. Papers that have only the author(s) name(s) and no "Accepted for Publication" statement probably have not been peer-reviewed.

Some journals have some pretty heavy subscription fees, and this is the only way to see their papers (usually pre-publication) without trekking to a good library or paying a lot of money. Interestingly, if your paper is accepted by Springer for one of its journals, Springer will request that you submit the final draft to ArXiv. They will also transmit the paper electronically to their subscribers AND in print form, later.

1. What are some factors to consider when choosing a good science journal?

When choosing a good science journal, it is important to consider the journal's impact factor, reputation, scope, and peer-review process. The impact factor reflects the average number of citations received by articles in the journal, indicating its influence in the scientific community. A reputable journal is typically associated with a well-respected publisher and has a strong editorial board of experts in the field. The scope of the journal should align with your research interests and the journal's peer-review process ensures the quality and validity of published articles.

2. How can I determine if a science journal is reputable?

To determine if a science journal is reputable, you can research the publisher, editorial board, and impact factor of the journal. Check the publisher's website and see if they have a good reputation in the scientific community. You can also look at the editorial board and see if they are experts in the field. Additionally, you can check the impact factor of the journal, which is often listed on their website or can be found through a database like Web of Science or Scopus.

3. What are some highly ranked science journals?

Some highly ranked science journals include Nature, Science, Cell, and the New England Journal of Medicine. These journals have a high impact factor and are well-respected in their respective fields. However, it is important to note that the ranking of a journal may vary depending on the specific field of study and research topic.

4. How can I access articles from science journals?

You can access articles from science journals through various methods. Many journals offer online access through a subscription or membership. Some universities and institutions also have subscriptions to a wide range of journals that their students and faculty can access. Additionally, some articles may be available for free through open access journals or pre-print repositories.

5. Can I submit my research to multiple science journals at the same time?

No, it is not recommended to submit your research to multiple science journals at the same time. This is considered unethical and can result in duplicate publication, which is not allowed in the scientific community. It is important to carefully select a journal that best fits your research and submit it for consideration. If your paper is rejected, you can then consider submitting it to another journal.