Solving Creep Simulation: Ansys Packages & BS Lead Test Piece Dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses modeling creep in an FEA or similar package, specifically in ANSYS. The speaker mentions using a BS Lead Test Piece and asks about the standard dimensions of a test piece. They also mention having access to various ANSYS packages to solve the issue. The other person provides information on how to implement creep in ANSYS, including entering creep table data and using the TB and TBOPT commands. They also suggest referring to specific chapters in the ANSYS help for more information.
herpamad
Hey

Quick question. I am trying to model creap in an FEA or similar package, but what package should i be using and how complex is this?

I am using just a BS Lead Test Piece, which does lead me to ask

- Does anyone know the standard dimensions of a test piece, i was using lead, and can only find the gauge factor which was 22mm.

Back on track, i have Ansys package, with LSDYNA and the other various Ansys packages, so i am guessing one of these can solve?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have more than a dozen ways to implement creep in ANSYS. I haven't done it myself, but a look through the help says that you can enter the creep table data by
Code:
TB,CREEP
Then setting
Code:
TBOPT,n
Where n=1,13 depending on what type of implicit behavior you'd like. You can also enter TBOPT,100 to enter the user creep option. From there you need to TB,STATE to specify the number of state variables for the routine.

I would refer you to Elements Reference Chapter 2-5 General Element Features - Data Tables - Implicit Analysis for mroe information, along with the section on Material Nonlinearities, Structural Guide Chapter 8-4 Nonlinear Structural Analysis - Modeling Material Nonlinearities.

1. What is creep simulation?

Creep simulation is a method used in engineering to predict the deformation of materials over time when subjected to a constant load or stress. It is commonly used to study the long-term behavior of materials under high temperatures and pressures.

2. What are Ansys packages?

Ansys packages are computer programs developed by Ansys Inc. that are used for engineering simulations, including creep simulation. These packages utilize finite element analysis (FEA) to model and solve complex engineering problems.

3. How is BS lead test piece used in creep simulation?

A BS lead test piece is a standardized sample used in creep testing to evaluate the creep properties of materials. It is typically used as a reference material in creep simulation to ensure accurate and consistent results.

4. What are the dimensions of a BS lead test piece?

The dimensions of a BS lead test piece are specified by the British Standards Institution (BSI) as 10 mm x 10 mm x 50 mm. These dimensions are used to create a uniform sample for testing and comparison purposes.

5. What are the benefits of solving creep simulation using Ansys packages?

Ansys packages offer a wide range of advanced features and capabilities for accurate and efficient creep simulation. These include robust material models, high-performance computing, and user-friendly interfaces. Additionally, Ansys packages are widely used and trusted in the engineering industry, making it easier to collaborate and share results with other professionals.