Solving Maths Problems: Using Excel for Finding Values of s and r

• Thread starter sara_87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel
In summary, to find the values of s and r in the formula x=(y/s)^r using excel, you will need to linearize the formula by plotting ln(y) versus ln(x). Excel can then give you an equation for the resulting plot of best fit, where the gradient will be -1/r and the intercept will be ln(s). To do this, first type the given values of x in column A and the given values of y in column B. Then, in column C, use the formula =log(A2) (replacing A2 with the appropriate cell) for each value of x, and in column D, use the formula =log(B2) (replacing B2 with the appropriate cell) for
sara_87

Homework Statement

I have a formula:
x=(y/s)^r

I am given data: 6 values for x and the corresponding 6 values for y.
I am to find the values of s and r.
I could take logarithms and make this formula linear then use linear regression (as in statistics) and do the method of least squares.
But i was told that using excel is much simpler (where i don't need to put this in terms of logarithms)
But how do i use excel for such a problem?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I typed in the values of x in the first excel column, and the values of y in the second. but then i got stuck. i have no idea how to and where to type in the formula.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you still need to linearize the formula. Consider what happens when you plot ln(y) versus ln(x). Excel can then give you an equation for the resulting plot of best fit. Using your linearized formula (what is it?), you should be able to easily extract s and r.

The linearized formula is:
ln(y)=(-1/r)ln(x)+ln(s)
so -1/r will be the gradient and ln(s) is the intercept of the plot ln(y) versus ln(x)
how do i plot this on excel?
Do i first type in the given values of x in column A and the given values of y in column B?

In column A, i typed the 6 values of x, and in B i typed the 6 values of y.
then in column C, i did: =log(A2) for the first one. and did the same for the rest.
in coulmn d, i did =log(B2) and the same for the rest.
The i did a scatter plot.
but this gave me a curve.
shouldnt it be a line?
And how can i then extract s and r?
thank you

sara_87 said:
In column A, i typed the 6 values of x, and in B i typed the 6 values of y.
then in column C, i did: =log(A2) for the first one. and did the same for the rest.
in coulmn d, i did =log(B2) and the same for the rest.
The i did a scatter plot.
but this gave me a curve.
shouldnt it be a line?
And how can i then extract s and r?
thank you

I presume the values in column A begin in cell A2, and in column B begin in cell B2? Can you just list the values you were given for x and y?

1. How can I use Excel to solve math problems?

Excel has many built-in functions and tools that can help you solve math problems. You can use functions such as SUM, AVERAGE, and PRODUCT to perform basic calculations, and more advanced tools like Solver to find solutions to complex equations.

2. Can Excel handle complex mathematical equations?

Yes, Excel can handle complex mathematical equations. You can use functions, formulas, and tools like Solver to solve equations with multiple variables and constraints.

3. Can I graph mathematical functions in Excel?

Yes, you can graph mathematical functions in Excel using the built-in graphing tools. You can also use the Insert Function feature to create a graph of a specific function.

4. Can Excel be used to create statistical models?

Yes, Excel has many statistical functions and tools that can help you create and analyze statistical models. You can use functions like AVERAGE, STDEV, and CORREL to calculate statistical measures, and tools like Regression Analysis to create linear or nonlinear models.

5. Is there a limit to the number of calculations Excel can handle?

Excel has a limit of 1,048,576 rows and 16,384 columns per worksheet, but you can use multiple worksheets and formulas to perform complex calculations. However, for extremely large datasets, Excel may not be the most efficient tool and a more specialized software may be required.