Integration involving Substitution

In summary, the homework statement is that the arc length of the function f(x) = x(sqrt(x/2-x) from 0 to x is Integral [sqrt(a+bu)]/u^2du.
hungryhippo

Homework Statement

Find the arc length of the function f(x) = x(sqrt(x/2-x) from 0 to x

Integral forms involving a+bu
--> integral [sqrt(a+bu)]/u^2du

Homework Equations

Arc Length = integral sqrt(1+(f'(x))^2)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I took the derrivate
f'(x) = sqrt(x/2-x) + x/[(2-x)^2(sqrt(x/2-x))]
= [x(2-x)+x]/[(2-x)^2(sqrt(x/2-x))]
=[x(3-x)]/[(2-x)^2(sqrt(x/2-x)]

Then, the square of f'(x)
= [x^2(3-x)^2]/[x(2-x)^3]
=[x(3-x)^2]/[(2-x)^3]

Then I added 1 to the square of the derivative, which simplified to
=[8-3x]/[2-x]^3

Then, the square root of the above
=sqrt([8-3x]/[2-x]^3)

I substituted 2-x = t
=sqrt[(3t+2)/(t^3)] <--multiplied top and bottom by sqrt[t]
=sqrt(3t^2+2t)/t^2

I'm stuck here..I'm allowed to use formulas from a table of integrals (i.e. the one specified above), but I can't seem to get it into that form ..

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations on getting that far. That's one nasty integral. I don't have a good integral table so I put sqrt(3t^2+2t)/t^2 into Wolfram Alpha and said "Show steps". It says, i) complete the square in the numerator, ii) do a sec trig substitution and then iii) use the universal tan(x/2) Weierstrass substitution and finally iv) get something you can solve by partial fractions. The result is less than pleasant, but it looks simpler than the steps involved in getting there. There may be a shortcut. But who cares? Life is short. Can you use WA or a computer algebra system instead of an integral table? A system like maxima also seems to handle it ok. And it's free.

Last edited:
Hey, I don't think we're suppose to use the Wolfram alpha application. I asked my prof, and he said there was an "easy" way to simplify, although I have failed to find one yet.

hungryhippo said:
Hey, I don't think we're suppose to use the Wolfram alpha application. I asked my prof, and he said there was an "easy" way to simplify, although I have failed to find one yet.

Ok, so maybe there is an easier way. I guess I'm not seeing one right now either.

1. How do I know when to use substitution for integration?

Substitution is typically used when the integrand contains a function within a function. In other words, if the integrand can be rewritten in terms of a simpler function, then substitution is a useful technique to use.

2. What is the process for substitution in integration?

The process for substitution involves identifying a suitable substitution, which usually involves choosing a variable to replace with a simpler function, and then using the chain rule to rewrite the integrand in terms of the new variable. After substitution, the resulting integral can be evaluated using standard integration techniques.

3. Can any function be used for substitution in integration?

No, not every function can be used for substitution in integration. The function chosen for substitution must be differentiable in the interval of integration, and its derivative must also be present in the integrand.

4. How do I know if my substitution was successful?

If the substitution was successful, the resulting integral should be simpler and easier to evaluate than the original integral. Additionally, the limits of integration should also be updated to reflect the new variable.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using substitution in integration?

One common mistake is to forget to update the limits of integration after substitution. Another mistake is to substitute for the wrong variable, which can lead to incorrect answers. It is also important to check for any algebraic errors when simplifying the resulting integral after substitution.