Annihilator of annihilator

• Thread starter badsis
  • Start date
In summary, an "Annihilator of annihilator" is a mathematical function that results in the zero function when applied to another function. It is commonly used in solving differential equations, proving theorems, and simplifying complex expressions. It is related to the inverse function in that they both undo the effects of a given function, but the "Annihilator of annihilator" completely nullifies it. However, it can only be applied to certain types of functions and finding it for a given function involves understanding the properties and using algebraic manipulation.
badsis

Homework Statement

Hi,

I have a problem where I have to show that any subset of S<V, where T:V->V**(dual dual space), identifies ann(ann(S)) and the span S.

Homework Equations

Given:
annS={f in V* | for any v in V T(v)=0 }
T(v)(f) = f(v)
T - linear isomorphism

The Attempt at a Solution

I think what the question asks is to show that T(spanS) = ann(ann(S))
Thus I need to show that v is in the spanS.

Given the def: annS={f in V* | for any v in V T(v)=0 } and the equality T(v)(f) = f(v), I wrote that ann(ann(S)) = {T(v) in V**| for any f in ann(S) Tv(f)=0 }

I started with
Tv=a_1v_1 +...+ a_nv_n
Tv(f) = a_1(f)v_1 + ...+ a_n(f)v_n = 0
Tv(f) = 0 for any f => Tv is in V**
Choose an arbitrary function f=X^2
then TV(f) = a_1*v_1^2 +...+ a_n*v_n^2
since sum of all v^2>0 then Tv(f) = 0 => a_1 ... a_n = 0
Thus v_1...v_n is in span S

this implies that T(spanS) = ann(ann(S))

For some reason I think it is wrong. I am not sure how to show the v is in the spanS

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are on the right track with your solution. However, there are a few areas where you can improve your explanation. First, it would be helpful to define what V** and V* represent in the context of your problem. This will help the reader understand the notation and concepts involved.

Secondly, when showing that v is in the spanS, you can use the fact that T is a linear isomorphism to show that for any f in ann(S), there exists a unique v in V such that T(v) = f. This can be done by considering the definition of ann(S) and using the linearity of T.

Lastly, when choosing an arbitrary function f, it would be clearer to specify that f is a linear functional in V*, rather than just stating f=X^2. This will help to avoid any confusion or misinterpretation.

Overall, your solution is on the right track, but it would be helpful to provide more explanation and clarification in certain areas. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for further clarification if needed. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is an "Annihilator of annihilator"?

An "Annihilator of annihilator" is a mathematical term that refers to a function that, when applied to another function, results in the zero function. In other words, it "annihilates" the other function.

2. How is the "Annihilator of annihilator" used in mathematics?

The "Annihilator of annihilator" is used in mathematics to solve differential equations. It can also be used to prove theorems and simplify complex expressions.

3. What is the relationship between the "Annihilator of annihilator" and the inverse function?

The "Annihilator of annihilator" and the inverse function are related in that they both "undo" the effects of a given function. However, while the inverse function reverses the effects of a function, the "Annihilator of annihilator" completely nullifies it.

4. Can the "Annihilator of annihilator" be applied to any function?

No, the "Annihilator of annihilator" can only be applied to certain types of functions, such as polynomials, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions. It is important to understand the properties and limitations of the function before applying the "Annihilator of annihilator".

5. How can I find the "Annihilator of annihilator" for a given function?

The process of finding the "Annihilator of annihilator" for a given function involves finding the complementary function and then using algebraic manipulation to determine the "Annihilator of annihilator". It may require some trial and error, but understanding the properties of the function can help in the process.