Finding the mass of a beam by static equilibrium

In summary: Since the weight is acting at the center of the beam, the torque on the left end is equal to the torque on the right end. Therefore the mass of the beam is:100g + 168g = 288g
yssida

Homework Statement

This is actually an experiment we did at class. A horizontal beam was loaded with 100 grams weight at the left end. This beam was supported (with my hands) at 30 centimeters from the left end until balance is restored by putting another weight (168 grams) on the other side, which was found out to be 6.4 centimeters from the point of support (POS) at the right side. I need to find the mass of the beam given this information.

I'll try my best to illustrate this with text

|---------X----------|-----------|

wt here POS other wt here
(100g) (168g)

Homework Equations

Torque left = Torque right; or that they will sum up to zero

T=r x F; but since weight is perpendicular then T=rF or T=rmg (since only the weight is acting on the beam); but then I need to account for the weight of the weight added and the mass of the beam itself so: T=r (mass of beam portion + mass of added obj) g

to find the mass of the beam portion, we assumed the mass was distributed evenly; hence mass beam portion = Mass beam total * r / total length

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to Torque left=Torque right --->

r left * (mass beam left + mass added left) g = r right * (mass beam right + mass added right) g

and removed g

then I substituted the mass beam (left/right) with total mass beam * r / total length

giving me

rleft (Mtotal rleft/Ltotal + madded left )=rright (Mtotal rright/Ltotal + madded right)

Is this the correct way to go about the problem? The answers I get are very far from the measured mass of the beam.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the length of the beam?

I forgot, sorry it's 98.3 cm.

Weight of the bar acts at the center of the beam. Now apply

Torque left = torque right and find m.

1. How do you find the mass of a beam using static equilibrium?

The mass of a beam can be found by using the principle of static equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object must equal zero. This can be achieved by balancing the weight of the beam with the weight of known masses placed on the beam. By adjusting the position of the masses and measuring the distance from the pivot point, the mass of the beam can be calculated using the formula: mass = (sum of known masses) x (distance from pivot point / distance from center of mass).

2. What equipment is needed to find the mass of a beam by static equilibrium?

To find the mass of a beam using static equilibrium, you will need a beam with a known length and weight, a pivot point, a support stand, and known masses. Additionally, a ruler or measuring tape and a scale or balance may be required to measure distances and masses accurately.

3. Can the mass of a beam be found if there is more than one support point?

Yes, the mass of a beam can still be found using static equilibrium even if there is more than one support point. In this case, the principle of moments can be used to calculate the mass. The principle of moments states that the sum of the clockwise moments must equal the sum of the counterclockwise moments. By measuring the distances from each support point and using the formula: mass = (sum of known masses) x (distance from pivot point / sum of distances from support points), the mass of the beam can be determined.

4. How does the angle of the beam affect the calculation of its mass using static equilibrium?

The angle of the beam does not affect the calculation of its mass using static equilibrium as long as the beam is in a state of static equilibrium. This means that the forces acting on the beam are balanced, and the beam is not moving or rotating. If the beam is at an angle, the length of the beam must be taken into account when measuring distances from the pivot point.

5. What are the limitations of using static equilibrium to find the mass of a beam?

Static equilibrium can only be used to find the mass of a beam if the beam is in a state of rest. If the beam is moving or rotating, the forces acting on it are not balanced, and the mass cannot be accurately calculated using this method. Additionally, static equilibrium assumes that the beam is in a perfect state of balance, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.