Switch off my PC at the wall socket and reboot

In summary, when trying to connect to the internet, the computer will not connect unless the power is removed and then restarted. Windows is not the issue.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Help,
I have to switch off my PC at the wall socket and reboot to get
onto the internet , everything used to work OK.
I have, SUSE 9.1, D link router and use Tiscali.
Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is your computer not shutting itself off? That means you have a problem with ACPI.
Does linux detect your ethernet card? Type ifconfig as root in the terminal and see if eth0 shows up. If it does find it then type this into the terminal as root: dhcpd eth0.

DDUARDO.
on normal shut down, start, turn off computer, then normal restart, turn computer
on, every thing starts as normal, but i can not connect to internet, it is only when
i turn the mains off and on again that i can connect, it seems as if power has
to be removed to reset something, strange as nothing has been touched or changed.

Does this happen in windows?

Windows?
I went the whole hog and dumped them, i have a clean install of susi 9.1
from registered disc, apart from that there is nothing on my hard drive.

Let me ask it this way then: When you did have windows did this happen to you?

This seems like a hardware issue, but I would install windows again or get knoppix and see if continues to happen.

Last edited:
·

dduardo
Let me ask it this way then: When you did have windows did this happen to you?
As i have not used windows on my new PC i can not say, i agree it seems to be
hardware related, as i can log on normally "sometimes", i have checked all
connections inside and out, all the settings are same as from day one.
When failing to connect, no error messages are shown, AHH but there is no
time out, i wonder if that is a clue.
as usual thanks for help DDUARDO

I shouldn't even be in this thread :tongue2: but is it only your internet that is giving you trouble? Did you contact Tiscali and see if they've been having problems? Also, would it be an idea to remove power from your modem for 30 secs and restart it again?

A few weeks ago I had trouble connecting, turned out the provider had intermittent problems, it also messed up the modem, but after rebooting everything was fine again.

Hi MONIQUE.
yes i did phone tiscali and they reported no problems, also i have
unplugged everything except the monitor and key board, then
reconnected and re booted, but sometimes all that happens is
the time out "clock" runs continuously when attempting to log on,
as soon as i turn off at the wall socket and reboot it works fine
to the net

So what if you only reboot your modem?

Do you have another computer that you can hook up to the same line? Maybe it is an electrical problem with your home. The computer is sucking up all the power making your router or modem malfunction.

I've seen that happen before, having to much stuff plugged into a single socket makes for a wide assortment of weird problems. Try plugging the modem into a different socket, perhaps on a different circuit if possible.

Maybe the breaker isn't big enough to support everything your powering.

Monique ,
yes several times, all the LEDs are lit power, adsl, ethnet and the," status",
has a steady pulse as per the book.
dduardo
Good idea i will go get my ammeter.

Make sure your ammeter can handle the current. You don't want things catching on fire! :surprise:

dduardo
I think i have found the problem, my router comes with a power supply
built into the plug, this was quite warm to touch, as it is a moulded sealed
unit i can not open it up, anyway i have chopped it off and replaced it
with one from an old clock radio, I am keeping my fingers crossed, but
so far i have been able to connect every time, i would never of thought
about looking for a fault in this area but thanks to you i did.

1. Why is it important to switch off my PC at the wall socket and reboot?

Switching off your PC at the wall socket and rebooting it helps to clear any temporary files and processes that may be causing your computer to slow down or malfunction. It also allows for updates to be installed and for your computer to start fresh, improving its overall performance.

2. How often should I switch off my PC at the wall socket and reboot?

It is recommended to switch off your PC at the wall socket and reboot it at least once a week. However, if you notice any issues with your computer, it is a good idea to do this more frequently to help resolve any problems.

3. Will switching off my PC at the wall socket cause any damage?

No, switching off your PC at the wall socket will not cause any damage. It is a safe and effective way to clear any temporary files and processes that may be slowing down your computer.

4. How do I properly switch off my PC at the wall socket?

To properly switch off your PC at the wall socket, you should first shut down your computer through the operating system. Once it has fully shut down, you can then switch off the power at the wall socket. It is important to never switch off your computer directly at the wall socket while it is still running.

5. Are there any other benefits to switching off my PC at the wall socket and rebooting?

Yes, there are several other benefits to switching off your PC at the wall socket and rebooting it. It can help to free up memory and improve overall system performance, as well as allow for updates and new software to be properly installed. It also gives your computer a chance to cool down, which can help prevent overheating and potential hardware damage.