Beginner's Question Regarding Voltage Division

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of voltage division in a circuit and how to determine the voltage between various points. Ohm's law is used to calculate the current in the circuit, which is then used to determine the voltage between different points. The conversation also touches on how voltage increases with increasing resistance and the importance of having a ground point in a circuit. It concludes by mentioning the limitations of using voltage dividers as power supply regulators and providing a link to an interactive voltage divider demonstration.
Ulnarian
I'm pretty much a beginner trying to wrap my head around the concept of voltage division within a circuit. To help myself out, I've come up with the following circuit.

[PLAIN]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/801/voltagedivision.gif

I am having trouble determining the voltage between various points on the circuit.

Starting with Ohms law, I know that the current in the circuit is 15V/15 ohms (or, 1A).

Given the current, I can now determine the voltage between various points of the circuit.

Between points 1 and 2, the amount of voltage is:

V=1A x 5 ohms=5V

Between points 1 and 3, the amount of voltage is:

V=1A x (5 ohms + 5 ohms)
V=1A x 10 ohms=10V

Is this correct? Does the amount of voltage actually increase as your resistance increase? Sorry for sounding like a complete noob (which I am :) )

Additionally, say I need to supply 10V to a device that happens to be connected at point 6 on my drawing. Where is the voltage measured from? Assuming I'm correct, if you measure from point 1 to point 6, then there is 10V being supplied. However, if you measure from point 2 to point 6, there is only 5V being supplied. Which figure is accurate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your calculations seem correct.

Current passing through a resistance make the voltage drop.

For your last questions, I don't believe I follow you very well. Electric potential is always applied / measured between two points of a circuit. Therefore, it would be difficult to add 10V at point 6.

Cheers

Ulnarian said:
Is this correct?

In short... yes :)

Does the amount of voltage actually increase as your resistance increase?

The basic answer is... yes :)

Additionally, say I need to supply 10V to a device that happens to be connected at point 6 on my drawing. Where is the voltage measured from? Assuming I'm correct, if you measure from point 1 to point 6, then there is 10V being supplied. However, if you measure from point 2 to point 6, there is only 5V being supplied. Which figure is accurate?

Remember that voltage is always really a potential difference between two points; it's not absolutely defined at one point in a circuit.

What is the ground point in your circuit? Your device that you're connecting must have a ground, or "another side" to the circuit, where the current flows back out.

Also... remember that in practice voltage dividers aren't useful as power supply voltage regulators to power devices from a higher voltage supply than is appropriate... this is a common beginner mistake.

Here's a little interactive voltage divider you might like to play with.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/voldiv.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is voltage division?

Voltage division is a basic concept in electrical engineering that describes how a voltage source is divided across multiple resistors connected in series. It is also known as the voltage divider rule.

2. How does voltage division work?

According to the voltage divider rule, the voltage across a resistor is equal to the ratio of that resistor's value to the total resistance in the circuit, multiplied by the input voltage. This means that the larger the resistor's value, the greater the voltage drop across it.

3. Why is voltage division important?

Voltage division is important because it allows us to control the voltage level in a circuit by selecting appropriate resistor values. This is useful in many applications, such as in voltage regulators and level shifters.

4. Can voltage division be applied to other components besides resistors?

Yes, the voltage divider rule can be applied to other components, such as capacitors and inductors. However, the values of these components will have to be taken into account when calculating the voltage across them.

5. What are some common mistakes when using voltage division?

One common mistake is forgetting to account for the load resistance in the circuit, which can significantly change the voltage division ratio. Another mistake is using the wrong formula, as there are variations of the voltage divider rule for different types of circuits, such as parallel circuits.