MBA/Engineering degree or Physics MS

In summary, a Master's degree in Renewable Energy would be a valuable addition to your BS in physics and could lead to many opportunities in the growing photovoltaics industry.
rybadger
A little bit about me first.
I am 28 and have 4 semesters left to graduate with a BS in physics. I have an associates degree in Aviation and worked as an airline pilot for a few years. My experience in the aviation industry was basically composed of really low pay (15k yr), terrible hours, and hangovers. I was laid off about the same time my daughter was born. Rather than looking for another flying job in the recession, my wife and I decided that I should return to school.

Due to our financial situation at the time, we moved in with my parents and I enrolled at a state university. I have always had an interest in mechanical engineering but they didn't offer that degree. I thought physics was close enough and have really enjoyed my classes. My wife has been putting me through school and fully supports my education.

My GPA is a 3.4 due to college classes I took in high school and a few stumbles. I have been studying really hard since I've been back to school and should maintain or slightly raise my GPA.

I need a little personalized guidance.
I am very interested in Photovoltaics and think that the industry will continue to grow and provide many opportunities. I browse job ads and have seen some really cool ones, but am not quite sure where to go with my education. I don't really feel like I have the time to go for a PHD but would like to get a masters degree.

There is a larger state school that offers a dual MBA/Mechanical Engineering degree that can be completed in 2 years. Is this is a good option? Would my resume look well-rounded or messy?

If not that degree, what grad degree would I be able to put to good use in the photovoltaics field that would also complement my BS degree?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Physics news on Phys.org
A good option to consider is a Master's degree in Renewable Energy. This degree combines elements of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and business management, providing you with the skills needed to work in the photovoltaics field. It would also provide a well-rounded resume that would demonstrate your ability to combine multiple disciplines. Additionally, you could complete the degree in as little as 18 months, giving you the opportunity to obtain a graduate degree quickly and start building your career.

1. What is the difference between an MBA/Engineering degree and a Physics MS?

An MBA/Engineering degree is a graduate-level program that focuses on business and management skills, while an MS in Physics is a graduate-level program that focuses on theoretical and practical knowledge in the field of physics. MBA/Engineering programs usually require a bachelor's degree in a related field, while an MS in Physics typically requires a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field.

2. Which degree is more valuable in the job market: MBA/Engineering or Physics MS?

It depends on the specific job and industry. An MBA/Engineering degree may be more valuable in fields such as business or engineering, while a Physics MS may be more valuable in fields such as research or academia. It is important to consider your career goals and the job market in your desired field when deciding which degree to pursue.

3. Can I pursue an MBA/Engineering degree or a Physics MS without a background in those fields?

It is possible to pursue an MBA/Engineering degree or a Physics MS without a background in those fields, but it may require additional coursework or prerequisites. MBA/Engineering programs may accept applicants with diverse undergraduate backgrounds, but an MS in Physics typically requires a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field.

4. What skills will I gain from an MBA/Engineering degree or a Physics MS?

An MBA/Engineering degree will provide you with business and management skills, such as leadership, finance, and strategic thinking. A Physics MS will provide you with skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and research. Both degrees also develop skills in communication, teamwork, and time management.

5. Can I combine an MBA/Engineering degree and a Physics MS?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a dual degree program that combines an MBA/Engineering degree with a Physics MS. This option is usually offered by universities and can provide a unique and valuable skill set for careers in industries such as technology, renewable energy, or consulting.