Recommend a book for a beginner (astrophysics)

In summary: I'm from the United States. In summary, if you want to study astrophysics, you'll need to start with some basic math and physics. The best books to prepare yourself for astrophysics are Astrophysics in a Nutshell and Understanding Pure Mathematics.
denisonfire
Hello!

I'm going to study astrophysics next year, we will study the most of basic stuff on the way (calculus etc as well). I have some basic knowledge of physics and astronomy, but totally forgot basic mathematics since I didn't pay enough attention in school (which I regret now). So what books would you recommend? Both maths and physics, both for astronomy and classical physics. There should be a book or two that sum it up :)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could always check out Astrophysics in a Nutshell. I have never looked through it, but I have the Nuclear Physics, QM and QFT books from the same series and they are all great!

Thanks!
I might get it, though some equations there look complicated. I read some pages here - http://press.princeton.edu/TOCs/c8457.html
I think I might need something more basic!

Oh and maybe more maths than physics because my knowledge of math is pretty much on high school level. But math with physics examples, if you get the idea :)

Last edited:
Or what books are the best to prepare myself for http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=no&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uio.no%2Fstudier%2Fprogram%2Ffam%2Foppbygging%2F"? (Google translated)

Last edited by a moderator:
denisonfire said:
There should be a book or two that sum it up :)

If only! :rofl:

My advice to you is, seeing as you have a year before you start, to study up like crazy!
If you're worried about basic math there are good sources on the internet.
My favourite is www.khanacademy.org If you start from the very beginning & work
to the very end you'll be extremely confident in your mathematique'ing skills to go on to
something a little bit more challenging.

You could then get a book called "Understanding Pure Mathematics" which will clear up all of
the loose ends the khanacademy left + do some calculus. If you wanted you could just
get a calculus book after those videos instead of the book I advised but I would advise you
to get it to do the exercises & because there are solutions and all.
For a calculus book I'd advise you to get a book from the 80's by Swokowski called
Calculus. It's the exact same as the more modern books but with better explanations for
beginners, a few proofs are easier to understand and last time I checked it was $0.20,
20 cents! on amazon.

As for astronomy, http://oyc.yale.edu/astronomy here is a good set of videos!
I think they are on youtube as well, you can watch them in the link anyay.

Another unbelievable recommendation is a show called "The Mechanical Universe" which is
online on google videos, all 52 episodes!, it will go through so much classical mechanics,
astronomy & E&M you'll love it!

Thanks for the reply! :)
Will definitely watch those videos.
Where should I start at khanacademy? Just as it goes on the page, arithmetic, pre-algebra, algebra etc? And I actually started watching those astronomy courses at academicearth.org!

It might actually be two years before I begin the studies, I'm still not quite sure about that. :)

Hey denisonfire!
I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I've already done a Bachelors in something completely unrelated to physics (Industrial Design) however I've always had a knack for Math and Physics, and the passion to boot. My goal is to broach into Theoretical Physics, thereby approaching Modern Physics from a different point of view. I also considered Astrophysics. In my journeys to find a reliable source for self-studies, I came across this website, which starts you on the path to substantial math skills.

http://www.phys.uu.nl/~thooft/theorist.html

Follow that loosely and hopefully you'll find yourself more confident in your math skills.

Within that site is two sections of main importance under "Primary Math" and they're available at a REALLY well thought out website that has been linked on that page.

http://www.wtamu.edu/academic/anns/mps/math/mathlab/beg_algebra/index.htm

So check this out!

hey norman!which country are u frm?

1. What is a good book for someone who is just starting to learn about astrophysics?

One highly recommended book for beginners in astrophysics is "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson. It provides a comprehensive yet accessible overview of key concepts in astrophysics, making it a great starting point for beginners.

2. Are there any books that explain astrophysics without using complex math?

Yes, "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking is a popular choice for beginners as it explains complex topics in astrophysics using simple language and analogies. Another option is "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, which also breaks down complex concepts without relying heavily on math.

3. Can you recommend a book that covers both theoretical and observational astrophysics?

"Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Bradley W. Carroll and Dale A. Ostlie is a great choice for beginners as it provides a comprehensive overview of both theoretical and observational aspects of astrophysics. It also includes exercises and problems to help reinforce the concepts learned.

4. Is there a book that focuses specifically on the history of astrophysics?

"Cosmos" by Carl Sagan is a classic book that not only covers the history of astrophysics, but also delves into the philosophical and cultural implications of our understanding of the universe. It is a thought-provoking read for beginners interested in the history of astrophysics.

5. Are there any books that include illustrations or diagrams to help explain concepts in astrophysics?

For beginners who prefer visual aids, "An Illustrated Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking is a great choice. It includes diagrams, images, and illustrations to aid in understanding complex concepts. "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking is another visually appealing book that covers a wide range of topics in astrophysics.