Work of pulling an upject up a ramp.

• Thread starter Jack_Straw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ramp Work
In summary, to move a 210 kg refrigerator into a house, a mover uses a dolly and a wooden plank acting as a ramp. The ramp is 8.5 m long and rises 2.4 m. The mover pulls the dolly with a constant force of 1200 N up the ramp. Using the equation W = F * S, where S is the distance traveled and F is the force applied, the work performed by the mover is calculated to be 10080 J. However, this is incorrect as the ramp length was mistakenly input as 8.4 m instead of 8.5 m. The correct answer should be 10200 J.
Jack_Straw

Homework Statement

To move a refrigerator of mass 210 kg into a house, a mover puts it on a dolly and covers the steps leading into the house with a wooden plank acting as a ramp. The plank is 8.5 m long and rises 2.4 m. The mover pulls the dolly with constant velocity and with a steady force 1200 N up the ramp. How much work does he perform? The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. Answer in units of J.

Homework Equations

W = F[tex]\vec{}[/tex] * S[tex]\vec{}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

if W = F[tex]\vec{}[/tex] * S[tex]\vec{}[/tex]
and S[tex]\vec{}[/tex] = Scos(angle)F,S
then W = 1200*8.4cos(0) = 10080J

Upon submitting my homework I'm told it is incorrect, but I can't see where I went wrong here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I found my mistake. The ramp is stated as 8.5m not 8.4. Sorry!

1. What is the work involved in pulling an object up a ramp?

The work involved in pulling an object up a ramp is the force exerted on the object multiplied by the distance it is pulled. This is known as the work-energy principle, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

2. How does the angle of the ramp affect the work required to pull an object up?

The angle of the ramp affects the work required to pull an object up because it determines the distance over which the force must be exerted. As the angle of the ramp increases, the distance increases, resulting in more work needed to overcome the force of gravity.

3. Does the weight of the object being pulled affect the work required?

Yes, the weight of the object being pulled does affect the work required. Heavier objects require more force to be pulled up the ramp, resulting in more work being done. This is because weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object.

4. What is the role of friction in the work of pulling an object up a ramp?

Friction plays a role in the work of pulling an object up a ramp because it acts against the motion of the object and reduces its speed. This means that more work must be done to overcome the force of friction and pull the object up the ramp.

5. Is the work of pulling an object up a ramp affected by the shape or texture of the ramp?

Yes, the shape and texture of the ramp can affect the work required to pull an object up. A smoother ramp will have less friction, resulting in less work needed to overcome it. Additionally, a longer and steeper ramp will require more work due to the increased distance and angle.