Physical pain as compared to psychological pain

In summary: Your opinion, please.I think it's a tough question, because of the overlap. Either one can at least partially manifest itself as the other. Anyone who is willing to listen without expressing a judgement is a good therapist, regardless of training.
jackson6612
How do you compare physical pain with psychological pain? Which one is more intense and damaging?

I think it's psychological. It's hard for others to comprehend unless they have been through it. But when someone sees blood they can imagine the pain. But when soul is wounded, it internal bleeding of voiceless pain which can only be felt and heard by you.

That brings us to another question. While physical wound can be healed or cured even if patient is in coma. How can a psychologist heal someone's psychological wound? If one has lost all his family in a car accident, then there is nothing some other person can do except to try to as sympathetic and understanding as one could be. If a psychologist could, then so could a clergy man, or a rational person for that matter.

Please let me heat what you have to say on this. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tough question, because of the overlap. Either one can at least partially manifest itself as the other. Anyone who is willing to listen without expressing a judgement is a good therapist, regardless of training.

Your opinion, please.

There are more options. I suffered a brain-stem stroke over 10 years ago. My right foot burns constantly. My neurologist told me that if my right leg was cut off, I would still experience the burning for the rest of my life because the defect is in my brain-stem, and not anyplace "real" in the rest of my body. It's not fun. It's not psychological, but physiological, although most people wouldn't understand the distinction.

Hi Turbo

I hope this will get better soon. We all have our share of pain.

Yes, there is a distinction between physiological and psychological pain. Physiological one is more close to physical.

I wish you good health and prosperity.

jackson6612 said:
Hi Turbo

I hope this will get better soon. We all have our share of pain.

Yes, there is a distinction between physiological and psychological pain. Physiological one is more close to physical.

I wish you good health and prosperity.
Thanks, Jackson. This one has 0% chance of going away, and I'll live with it. Neurological injury is odd in that normal physical cause-and-effect can seem to be absent.

Case by case, some pains can be really debilitating whether psych or phys, but they can both be shrugged off too

jackson6612 said:
Your opinion, please.

That was my opinion; weren't you paying attention? :grumpy:

I agree with both Turbo and the Python. People who undergo amputation typically experience what is called "phantom pain", wherein they can still feel a limb that is no longer there. That is due to the sensory pathways to that limb being "corrupted" in that they sort of short-circuit and send signals back to the brain that indicate the continued presence of the appendage. That is a very poorly articulated explanation, but the best that I can offer right now. Regardless, it coincides with the situation that Turbo is in. The brain interprets pain based solely upon the immediate inputs that it experiences. If you electrically stimulate the pain receptors of the brain, with no physical harm whatsoever, it's still going to hurt like hell.
Alternatively, on the side of Python, the brain has incredible power over the body. As a "for instance", I never take pain pills for anything other than Ibuprophen for headaches. That's the only pain that I can't think around. I had to play an entire baseball tournament with a broken finger about 15 years ago. All that I did was sit in the sidelines for a few minutes before each game and tell myself that anything that I would normally feel as pain would manifest itself as heat. Sure enough, I got a good piece of aluminum on the ball, and all that I felt was my finger warming up a bit.
I've had all kinds of breaks, sprains, dislocations, whatever... and they don't particularly bother me. I honestly don't know whether that is because I enjoy pain or because I just don't give a ****.
Okay, this is probably getting too intense for the forum, so I'm going to bail now. Sorry.

Danger said:
That was my opinion; weren't you paying attention? :grumpy:

Sorry. I was simply asking for more opinions. Though, I do apologize for not thanking you first before I went to ask for more!

jackson6612 said:
Sorry. I was simply asking for more opinions. Though, I do apologize for not thanking you first before I went to ask for more!
Cool, dude. A misunderstanding on my part. I tend to be a bit defensive when drinking. Sorry for the uncivilized response. :smile:

What is the difference between physical pain and psychological pain?

Physical pain is a physical sensation that is typically caused by tissue damage or injury to the body. It is a result of signals being sent from the affected area to the brain. Psychological pain, on the other hand, is an emotional or mental anguish that is caused by psychological factors such as trauma, stress, or emotional distress.

Can psychological pain cause physical pain?

Yes, psychological pain can manifest as physical pain. This is known as somatic pain and occurs when emotional distress or trauma causes physical symptoms, such as headaches, stomachaches, or muscle tension. In some cases, the physical pain may have no underlying physical cause and is solely a result of psychological factors.

Which type of pain is more difficult to treat?

Both physical and psychological pain can be challenging to treat, and the approach may vary depending on the individual. However, psychological pain may be more difficult to treat as it often requires addressing underlying emotional and mental factors, which can take time and effort to overcome.

Can physical pain lead to psychological pain?

Yes, chronic physical pain can lead to psychological pain. The constant discomfort and limitations caused by physical pain can take a toll on a person's mental and emotional well-being. This can result in depression, anxiety, and other psychological conditions.

Is there a link between physical and psychological pain?

There is a strong connection between physical and psychological pain. Chronic physical pain can lead to psychological distress, while psychological pain can manifest as physical symptoms. Both types of pain can also impact each other, making it crucial to address both when treating an individual's pain.