Ohms law question. Series and Parallel in same circuit.

In summary, the person is seeking help with a circuit problem that involves finding the total resistance (Rt) and identifying whether it is a parallel or series circuit. They have included a link to a picture of the circuit and have requested for their thread to be moved to a homework category.
doublea500

Homework Statement

See picture.

Homework Equations

Ohms Law-V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

i do not know what to do once i find Rt (8.714...) because there is a parallel and a series in this circuit.

Picture-https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35322&d=1304896158

I put this in another section also, if I am not supposed to do that then someone can delete this thread. i think i can because there's a problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

2. How is Ohm's Law applied in series circuits?

In series circuits, Ohm's Law states that the total resistance is equal to the sum of individual resistances. This means that the current is the same at all points in the circuit and the voltage is divided among the resistors.

3. How is Ohm's Law applied in parallel circuits?

In parallel circuits, Ohm's Law states that the total current is equal to the sum of individual currents. This means that the voltage is the same across all branches of the circuit and the total resistance is reduced.

4. Can series and parallel circuits be combined in the same circuit?

Yes, it is possible to have a combination of series and parallel circuits in the same circuit. This is known as a series-parallel circuit and the same principles of Ohm's Law apply.

5. How does Ohm's Law explain the behavior of resistors in series and parallel?

In series circuits, resistors add up, increasing the overall resistance. In parallel circuits, resistors decrease the overall resistance. Ohm's Law explains this behavior by showing the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance.