Elementary Linear Algebra Proof

In summary, if a sum of terms is zero, that does not mean that each individual term has to be zero. If at least one component of A is not zero, then A is not the zero-vector.
tylerc1991

Homework Statement

Prove or disprove the following about vectors in [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex]: If [itex]A \cdot B = A \cdot C[/itex] and [itex] A \neq O,[/itex] then [itex]B = C.[/itex]

Homework Equations

In this example, [itex]O[/itex] represents the zero vector.

Let the vectors be represented as:
[itex]A = (a_1,a_2,\dots,a_n)[/itex]
[itex]B = (b_1,b_2,\dots,b_n)[/itex]
[itex]C = (c_1,c_2,\dots,c_n)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] A \cdot B = A \cdot C \iff[/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n} a_kb_k = \sum_{k=1}^{n} a_kc_k \iff[/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n} a_kb_k - \sum_{k=1}^{n} a_kc_k = 0 \iff [/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n} a_kb_k - a_kc_k = 0 \iff[/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n} a_k(b_k - c_k) = 0 \iff[/itex]

So either [itex] a_k = 0, [/itex] or [itex] b_k-c_k = 0 [/itex] for [itex] k = 1,2,\dots,n. [/itex]

But since [itex] A \neq O, \, a_k \neq 0.[/itex]

Hence, [itex] b_k - c_k = 0 \iff b_k = c_k \iff B = C.[/itex]

It's been a while since I wrote a proof and I felt a little shaky on line 4. Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi tylerc1991! :smile:

It's only the 6th and 7th line of your proof that are shaky.
If a sum of terms is zero, that does not mean that each individual term has to be zero.
Also, if at least one component of A is not zero, then A is not the zero-vector.

Let me know if you want a hint.

I like Serena said:
It's only the 6th and 7th line of your proof that are shaky.
If a sum of terms is zero, that does not mean that each individual term has to be zero.
Also, if at least one component of A is not zero, then A is not the zero-vector.

This is true. I have been dallying around with a few ideas (assuming [itex]b_k - c_k \neq 0[/itex] and trying to arive at a contradiction), but it seems like there is always a counterexample. I am thinking I should try to break it up into cases, but I don't want to overcomplicate it. Small hint please! :shy:

EDIT: How about a counterexample to the original claim?

[itex]A = (2,1)[/itex]
[itex]B = (b_1,b_2)[/itex]
[itex]C = (c_1,c_2)[/itex]

Clearly [itex]A \neq O.[/itex]

If we try [itex]b_1 = 1, \, c_1 = \frac{1}{2}, \, b_2 = 3, \, c_2 = 4,[/itex] then

[itex]A \cdot B = A \cdot C[/itex]

and [itex]B \neq C.[/itex]

Whoops! Haha, lesson learned! Thank you for your time!

Last edited:
Take for instance n=2 and try to find a counter example.

Here are three vectors in R2:
a = <1, 2>
b = <2, -1>
c = <-2, 1>

What is [itex]a \cdot b[/itex]?
What is [itex]a \cdot c[/itex]?
Is it reasonable to conclude that b = c?

1. What is elementary linear algebra?

Elementary linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and systems of linear equations to solve problems related to geometry, engineering, physics, and other fields.

2. What is a proof in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, a proof is a logical argument that demonstrates the validity of a statement or theorem. It involves using a series of logical steps and mathematical equations to show that a statement is true.

3. Why are proofs important in elementary linear algebra?

Proofs are important in elementary linear algebra because they provide a rigorous and systematic way to validate mathematical concepts and ideas. They also help to develop critical thinking skills and provide a deeper understanding of the subject.

4. How do you approach a proof in elementary linear algebra?

To approach a proof in elementary linear algebra, it is important to first understand the definitions and concepts involved. Then, break down the statement into smaller, more manageable parts and use logical steps and mathematical equations to connect them together. It is also helpful to look at examples and try to apply similar techniques to the problem at hand.

5. What are some common techniques used in elementary linear algebra proofs?

Some common techniques used in elementary linear algebra proofs include direct proof, proof by contradiction, proof by induction, and proof by contrapositive. Other techniques may include using properties of matrices and vectors, mathematical induction, and logical reasoning.