Help simplifying/checking integral

• Thread starter c.dube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, I was trying to find an equation for integrating by parts, but I made an error. I then integrated by parts, but there was an error in the integral. After fixing the error, I got the answer to the original question.
c.dube
OK, so I'm just trying to refresh my calc knowledge before I go off to school. The problem I'm trying to do is:

[itex]\int sin(2x)tan^{-1}(sin(x))dx[/itex]

So what I've done is, first, replace sin(2x), giving:

[itex]\int 2cos(x)sin(x)tan^{-1}(sin(x))dx[/itex]

or

[itex]2\int cos(x)sin(x)tan^{-1}(sin(x))dx[/itex]

Then, I assume that sin(x) = u (and therefore, du = cos(x)dx). This gives me:

[itex]2\int utan^{-1}(u)du[/itex]

Then, I integrate by parts.

[itex]2\int utan^{-1}(u)du = 2(\frac{1}{2}u^{2}tan^{-1}(u)-\int \frac{u^{2}}{2+2u^{2}})[/itex]

or

[itex]2(\frac{1}{2}u^{2}tan^{-1}(u)-(\frac{u^{3}}{6}+\frac{u}{2}))[/itex]

Substituting back in for u gives me:

[itex]2(\frac{1}{2}sin^{2}(x)tan^{-1}(sin(x))-(\frac{sin^{3}(x)}{6}+\frac{sin(x)}{2}))[/itex]

Or, to simplify a little:

[itex]-\frac{sin^{3}(x)}{3}+tan^{-1}(sin(x))sin^{2}(x)-sin(x)[/itex]

My question is where do I go from here to simplify, and also if the work I've done up to this point is correct/on the right track (it's been a while since I took calc so go easy hahah). Just so you all know, I don't have an answer key for this problem so I'm working off of Wolfram Alpha's answer which is:

[itex]\frac{1}{2}((cos(2x)-3)(-tan^{-1}(sin(x)))-2sin(x)) + C [/itex]

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
c.dube said:
Then, I integrate by parts.

[itex]2\int utan^{-1}(u)du = 2(\frac{1}{2}u^{2}tan^{-1}(u)-\int \frac{u^{2}}{2+2u^{2}})[/itex]

or

[itex]2(\frac{1}{2}u^{2}tan^{-1}(u)-(\frac{u^{3}}{6}+\frac{u}{2}))[/itex]

There's an error from the integral on the right side of the top equation going to the line below it. Factor out a 2 from the denominator then try long division to make the integrand into something easier to integrate.

Ahh I knew it was something really dumb like that! Thanks, but new question now. For the long division, what answer should I be getting? Because trying to work it through I'm not getting the right answer. I get an answer of [itex]1-\frac{1}{u}[/itex] and the remainder but I can't get the remainder (unless its [itex]\frac{1}{u^{3}+u}[/itex]). The math doesn't seem to work when I check this can you help me out? Polynomial long division was always a weakness.

Whoops never mind I got it ([itex]1-\frac{1}{u^{2}+1}[/itex]) dumb mistake.

You can read about polynomial long division here
http://www.sosmath.com/algebra/factor/fac01/fac01.html"
But if I can avoid it, I try not to use it...
For problems like this, there's a trick so you don't have to use long division:[tex]\frac{u^2}{u^2 + 1} = \frac{u^2 + 1 - 1}{u^2 + 1} = \frac{u^2 + 1}{u^2 + 1} - \frac{1}{u^2 + 1} = 1 - \frac{1}{u^2 + 1}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
OK so now I have:

[itex]2(\frac{1}{2}u^{2}tan^{-1}(u)-\frac{1}{2}(u-tan^{-1}(u))[/itex]

Or:

[itex](u^{2}+1)tan^{-1}(u)-u[/itex]

From here, I substitute sin(x) back in:

[itex](sin^{2}(x)+1)tan^{-1}(sin(x))-sin(x)[/itex]

Can I simplify more or am I still making a mistake? Thanks for all the help.

It's correct and probably as simplified as you can make it; just remember the + c :wink:

Hahah yes that darn + C :smile: Thanks for all your help!

1. How do I simplify an integral?

To simplify an integral, you can break it down into smaller parts using algebraic simplifications, integration by parts, or substitution. You can also use online integral calculators or consult a math textbook for specific techniques.

2. What is the purpose of simplifying an integral?

The purpose of simplifying an integral is to make it easier to evaluate and solve. Simplifying can also provide insight into the behavior of the function being integrated and help to identify patterns or special cases.

3. How can I check if my integral is correct?

There are a few ways to check if your integral is correct. You can use an online integral calculator to compare your result, or you can differentiate your answer to see if it equals the original function. You can also graph your original function and the antiderivative to visually check if they match.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying an integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying an integral include forgetting to add the constant of integration, making incorrect substitutions, and not using the proper integration techniques. It is important to double check your work and be careful with algebraic manipulations.

5. Is there a standard method for simplifying integrals?

There is no one standard method for simplifying integrals as it depends on the function being integrated and the specific techniques used. However, there are common strategies such as using trigonometric identities, partial fractions, and integration by parts that can be applied to simplify a variety of integrals.